Choices, Choices

drake

Hope this is in the right section, as I didn't want to post it in a specific make forum

Anyway,here goes I am about to buy my first trials bike .After riding enduro's for quite a while i feel it is time for a change. i have bben looking at bikes around the

Doesn't anybody bother searching or reading through earlier posts. The same subject has been discussed TWICE in the last 10 days.

So what, what does it matter, it's hardly like the text is costing a ton of broadband width is it :rolleyes:

Sorry Mr Tetchy but as you can see this is only mt 5th post. I had done a search, and there are lots of which bike queries. Unfortunately they didn't answer my question which is Are Montesas worth the extra cash. Sorry for being a dumb a***

Here's the other two threads: Newbie questions

and: Help me decide on a bike

Drake, there's really no right or wrong answer (actually it sounds like you've made up your mind already). At entry level you can't go wrong as well as the bike is mechanically sound. But the best advice I can give is to get friendly (not too friendly mind) with a couple of local lads and try their bikes, go out practicing with them and (gasp!) even try a bit of observing to help out and become familiar with the rules.

To answer Thedbfs post, I feel a certain moral obligation to help new guys as much as possible but it can get a bit much repeating yourself.

Monty: There's a full blown search facility above. Drake says he did a search, fair enough, but if the question becomes too specific he (or anybody else) is actually copping out but avoiding making the decision for themselves. Something I warned about in one of the above mentioned threads.

Edited by TooFastTim

Here's the other two threads: Newbie questions

and: Help me decide on a bike

Drake, there's really no right or wrong answer (actually it sounds like you've made up your mind already). At entry level you can't go wrong as well as the bike is mechanically sound. But the best advice I can give is to get friendly (not too friendly mind) with a couple of local lads and try their bikes, go out practicing with them and (gasp!) even try a bit of observing to help out and become familiar with the rules.

To answer Thedbfs post, I feel a certain moral obligation to help new guys as much as possible but it can get a bit much repeating yourself.

Monty: There's a full blown search facility above. Drake says he did a search, fair enough, but if the question becomes too specific he (or anybody else) is actually copping out but avoiding making the decision for themselves. Something I warned about in one of the above mentioned threads.

I agree with tim, If they are both good, I'd go for the

I agree with tim, If they are both good, I'd go for the £900 (the £400 you will save will buy quite a bit of gear & spares)

Tanks as i said I had done a search and read those and other threads.

My question was based on my enduro backround. In that sport KTM are regarded as the dogs danglies, though I personlly don't believe there is anything between the major companies and that it is pretty much a fashion thing. because of this KTM spares are very easy to come by and when it does come time to sell up it will fly out the door at maximum price. Whereas the Sherco I had was difficult to sell and i had to take a loss on it. So basically what i am saying is this makes the KTM a better bike. Is it the same with Montesa?

but as you said £400 is lots of money to me

Edited by Drake

You'll have no problem reselling either as long as you're reasonable. Shercos in trials are different matter to Shercos in enduros (incidentally, I've had problems selling TMs and Gasser enduro bikes in the past). Oh and thanks, I was torn between a new EXC 250 and 3.0i. You've confirmed what I suspected.

KTMs are the fashion at the mo' and probably will be for some time to come but trials presently isn't dominated by one brand like enduros. However if you go back 6 or 7 years it was. By the Montesa 315.

The Mont is and was a class act. A little dated now but not such that it would make the slightest difference to my riding. It was built from quality components (HRC motor, Verlicchi frame, Showa suspension). I can't point out the pitfalls of the various years (the differed slightly) but if you post in the Mont forums you'll get your answer.

Sherco? Hmm, 2002 model? The Sherco was pretty well sorted from the outset (I'm open to correction here) as opposed to the early Gasser pros which were not (avoid the 2002 and 2003 models like the plague). Like the Mont, you'd need to post in those forums to get a more informed answer of the pitfalls of the various years. But the Sherco build quality, although pretty good is not as good as the Mont.

Tanks as i said I had done a search and read those and other threads.

My question was based on my enduro backround. In that sport KTM are regarded as the dogs danglies, though I personlly don't believe there is anything between the major companies and that it is pretty much a fashion thing. because of this KTM spares are very easy to come by and when it does come time to sell up it will fly out the door at maximum price. Whereas the Sherco I had was difficult to sell and i had to take a loss on it. So basically what i am saying is this makes the KTM a better bike. Is it the same with Montesa?

but as you said £400 is lots of money to me

I think £1000 is probably the bottom end of the market, so I dont think you would lose much (or any, if you decided to sell)

Good bikes around £1000 seem to sell quickly, I was after one for ages!

Plus Sherco seem to have a very good name in trials.

Good Luck :thumbup:

Edited by Monty_Jon

The Mont is a stady steed, but heavy and slow as compared to that year Sherco. The Mont is easier to learn on for a novice, and the Sherco more agressive in the power delivery.

Much here depends upon what you want, and your level of riding.