British Twinshocks what would your eligability critera be?

old trials fanatic

Is that Thorpeys cub? ... looks like a Cub to me ... well it has a front wheel at the front and a back wheel at the back like Cubs had in the past, but that front mudguard... hmmm mono Yam tut tut

hmmm mono Yam front mudguard... I guess thats because its fastened to what look externally just like mono Yam front forks (minus the leading axle) !!!

It must be different what applies to forks that clearly resemble Japanese units (that wasn't produced until the 80's) as opposed to the old Spanish ones like Woodys ???

Being quite new to trials(spent most of my time going round in

circles road racing)I'm wondering what the difference is between

Pre '65 and the Specials class?Do the bikes compete on the same

route or do the Specials do a harder route.What makes a bike fit

in the Specials class?Is there a set of regs for both Pre '65 or

Specials?Whilst I was building the wee Bantam I noticed that

Googling Pre'65 rules turned up quite a few variations on specs.

Coming from road racing nearly every club in Britian run the same

classes,why is trials different?The introduction of British

twinshocks could be adopted by all of the clubs as a

feeder/support class(or for riders on a tight budget) then on to

pre'65/specials.Just a thought.Or is British Twinshocks and the

Specials class the same thing?.

anyway cheers the noo Brian

Know what you mean about going round in circles :chairfall: "I'm wondering what the difference is between Pre65 and the Specials class?" Fork gaitors ?

Brian i am astounded that there isnt one set of rules, see my earlier reply , applied by ALL clubs. That was the reason indirectly i started the thread in the first place.

"Is British Twinshocks and the Specials class the same thing?" No the difference is British Twinshocks would be more honest about the parts you use with no need to hide components under expensive "stealth" outer clothing.

Whatever we more that anything need a universally accepted spec for Pre65 and or British Twinshocks but the problem is that every club thinks their way is the only way and are so entrenched they dont want to change for whatever reason vested or otherwise.

I’ve come to the conclusion that 'Jack_the _lad' is probably putting the better case for classic “British” trials

It seems most clubs will let you ride even if you do have Spanish forks / hubs ect...

If you are on a budget or want to build a bike cheaply you are never going to compete anyway so my conclusion is:-

Just take your bike, have a ride, and enjoy it. That’s why we all started in the first place Right?

:thumbup:

Oh, and fork gaiters are £10.00 pair on ebay so not a big deal really!

Edited by Monty_Jon

Fair enough so what would happen if you turned up on a C15 that complied in every way with the Yorkshire Classic rule book but had a Dellorto carb fitted that you took off your Cub because the Amal on the C15 was playing up. Hypothetically speaking of course. Would you then have to ride in the specials class? What if you put the carb back on the Cub. Would you then have to ride that in the specials class also?

Its just one of those anomalies that

The term special is an anomaly really. It conjures up images of a highly devloped machine that sits outside of the established or accepted modifications prescribed for Pre65 machines. It suggest it is superior and has performance advantages over an original or 'correctly modified' bike.

In reality, you could have a completely standard/original, say 1963 James, but if just one component is changed and falls outside of the class criteria, then it goes in the specials class. But it isn't really a special, it may just have been fitted with a modern carburettor, as in the case mentioned by Jack the Lad. It still has big hubs, chrome rims, original electrics and exhaust and origianl suspension. A special it is not, it's no lightweight and doesn't come anywhere close to the eligible bike in terms of performance.

Yet, there in the Pre65 2-stroke class, is a brand new 2011 modern spec James at around

Not true really, I've ridden my BSA to top 3 in the Manx twice on day 1 and top 10 overall. If it had the standard BSA front end on it I couldn't have done that, it would have cost me marks, lots of them, as there are some difficult sections in that trial. So the budget front end gave me a competitive bike with which I could have a go at a decent result.

If it had the BSA front end on it I wouldn't enjoy riding it, I had a standard B40 once and it was a handful to say the least.

I apologies to jack_the_lad, 'I said he seems angry' in fact he has put the better case forward for pre65

It seems the others have a bigoted opinion about pre65, even if you agree, they disagree whatever you say

Just build what you can afford, ride it and enjoy it, it pretty much like anything in life! :thumbup:

Forgot to mention I have ridden at Border Classic and Aqueduct Classic and you get the whole spectrum of bikes from the real trick bikes to what you would call the British twinshock with MZ front ends etc. and it all seems to work in harmony. Just had a looked at what is required as far as regs at Dales Classic and the do not show any machine requirement, so does that mean that any thing goes, and Peak Classic appear to be the same. Some of these clubs put an easy beginner

Forgot to mention I have ridden at Border Classic and Aqueduct Classic and you get the whole spectrum of bikes from the real trick bikes to what you would call the British twinshock with MZ front ends etc. and it all seems to work in harmony. Just had a looked at what is required as far as regs at Dales Classic and the do not show any machine requirement, so does that mean that any thing goes, and Peak Classic appear to be the same. Some of these clubs put an easy beginners route on as well. When you stand back and take at the overall view, most of you requirements seem to be covered. I think it would be difficult for a lot of clubs to do more. If you want more who would facilitate it, on top of what is already going on, as their has been a great debate but nobody has come forward and said I will take it on board. Does this mean this debate should be at club level and not here?

This is exactly it and echos what I was saying in a previous post.

There doesn't seem to be a problem amongst competitors themselves. I've not come across it in any of the events I've been to and that covers a wide range over many years. Border and Acqueduct are two good examples. No regs (that I know of) no scrutineering, no-one has a bike with components that upset anyone else, Spanish or Jap wheels and forks aren't a problem, huge array of machines from standard to fully modernised and everyone goes home happy.

The problem all stems from the Scottish where 'specials' aren't allowed and you have to have a compliant bike. Everywhere else caters for them in one way or another. Even agreeing nationally, on a British Twinshock spec/class, won't affect that trial.

Edited by Woody

Well if it mainly comes down to the Scottish who runs one event, we all know that they have a set of rules; you enter the event knowing that. Part of the thread way back was to have trials with eased sections for beginners, Scotland as we know is a one route event and so it should be. Why is it at this time of the year we get the great debate about Scotland you enter knowing you may disappointed so why do so many gripe. So if we take Scotland out of the equation what are we left with that cannot be accommodated in the current set up.