Is Dougie too old?

trials_125

The guy has all the credentials previously listed and he doesn't have to prove anything to anyone.

Would anyone bet against him finishing in the top 3 in this years SSDT

I was riding when SHM was at his best and I considered it a privelage to be riding in his company and I still bore people to death telling them about it.

Mr anonymous trials_125, if you ever get the chance to ride in the same event as Dougie try to watch him if you can get close enough, you will be telling your grandkids about it in years to come

Lets move on to a sensible subject.

Twinshock

The question was, "is Dougie too old" well what a bloody stupid, rude and immature topic to put up in the first place.

I beg to differ. It's almost as if the subject has become the "elephant in the room".

There's no doubting Dougies acheivements but can he cut it with that young Spanish lad? Sadly the answer must be no. But then nor can anybody else. We all know that that rider has a finite life in trials and it seems that, barring a fantastic ride from Doug (and he came close in Scotland last year) or a fiasco from Bou we would be getting ahead of ourselves to expect another WTC victory from him.

As far as enduros are concerned, as I mentioned in my previous posting, we can expect a lot more from Dougie.

For me, this topic raises the question of what, exactly, changes to prevent a champion continuing to win indefinitely.

Given that these essential qualities might be the prime requirements, it's hard to see why performance should drop off:

Determination/hunger - Dougie still has this in spadefuls I'm sure

Motivation - see above - he still likes to ride his bike every day

Ability - he always had it before, so why not now?

Fitness - surely Dougie's fitness is still up to the mark: anyone see him struggling at a trial? (especially the Scottish which would find out any shortfalls)

Sure, there's something about ageing which takes its toll, even slightly, but hard to put a finger on it.

.....before he's down the job centre with the rest of us.

:rotfl: That's conjured up an amusing image, just imagine Doug having an interview in a job centre. "What experience do you have Mr Lampkin?"

What could he say, apart from being one of the most famous names in the history of UK motorcycling, multiple world champion and highly successful factory extreme event rider.

I don't think he's ever going to need a job like the rest of us. :thumbup:

We know what he's done.. thats written in history.

Too old for what?

The last bit of trials footage from world outdoors made me think... 'Oh he looks like hes going to hurt himself'..

I think he ought to pack it in at that level and let the whippersnappers keep on launching...

Edited by Rosey

I only aimed this at Dougie competing in world trials rounds, not enduro. I think it is way over the top saying that this a "rude and immature topic"...if you don't like what has been said, then don't comment...simple.

Sorry if I have upset any of you.

Thanks

Alex