tires or shocks

searay175

What would be the best bang for the buck? I have a ty250A It has about 40% Michelin x11 trials tires and stock shocks. Would I be better off with new Betors or comparable shocks or a new set of sticky Michelins or IRC'S.I ride mostly rock.

For riding dry rocks it is the age of the tyre that is important, not how much tread depth is left. Most of my tyres go hard (and useless) long before they wear down much. If your tyres are worn but still soft, they are fine for dry rock riding. If you ride wet slimy rocks, the only tyre that works is a tyre with sharp edges.

You haven't said the condition of the shockies but I would say if the shocks still move freely and have damping, you will get a bigger improvement with new tyres.

Thanks!Looks like it will be tires/tyres! Now will it be Michelin's or Irc's?

IRC's are generally cheaper and almost as good overall, and probably better in mud.

They DO have to be run at a slightly higher pressure, if you run 4psi at the rear try 5.

New shocks will also make a difference, so if they are very old start saving.

Edited by B40RT

Have a look at the date stamp on the x11. its a box with 0390 eg 3rd month of 1990. just fount one in the shed good tyre with good tred but hard as a rock the date stamp was 0284 amd was still riding on this but have been not able to turn in a section for the last 5 years. let us know whot the date was, could do with some fun.

Have just got some new falcons not to happy. The Betor is bang on the money..

Have you ever tried Rockshocks ?

Interested in the comparisons.

Ross

I have a set of Magicals (from Spain, didn't buy them here) on my Bultaco and they are better, no doubt.

The problem with the Rockshocks in my experience is the set up. The quality of the shock is very good, no question. The valving can be adjusted any way you like and is easy to do if it isn't as required when you get them, but the biggest problem is the springs, again in my experience, which aren't the correct rate. They aren't progressive and they aren't strong enough for serious abuse. A good twinshock spring needs to be able to cope with slow and high speed compression, hence dual/multi rate springs of the correct rates are the ideal (Magicals). This is where the Rockshocks lose out to the others. Get the set up and springing rates correct and they will work as good as anything else, but the others are like that when you get them.

I have a set of Magicals (from Spain, didn't buy them here) on my Bultaco and they are better, no doubt.

The problem with the Rockshocks in my experience is the set up. The quality of the shock is very good, no question. The valving can be adjusted any way you like and is easy to do if it isn't as required when you get them, but the biggest problem is the springs, again in my experience, which aren't the correct rate. They aren't progressive and they aren't strong enough for serious abuse. A good twinshock spring needs to be able to cope with slow and high speed compression, hence dual/multi rate springs of the correct rates are the ideal (Magicals). This is where the Rockshocks lose out to the others. Get the set up and springing rates correct and they will work as good as anything else, but the others are like that when you get them.

Hi Woody

Good answer as always, but I thought the light springs were dual rate, as they are quoted as 45/55 lbs.

Have the Majicals got spherical bearings ? And how do they compare in price.

I have Rockshocks on my B40, and initially was not impressed with them, but after 3-4 trials they bedded in and I would have to say I cant fault them. The back end is so good (at my standard)that you can ignore it and it sorts itself out, most of the time. I also put another 1/2 - 1 psi in the IRC which got ride of wayward tendencies !

Ross

I've got Rockshocks on my Fantic's and are very happy with them, plus the service from John Bull is excellent. I have tried Betors bent one others have leaked also Falcons very good but had one leak after 2 days use and was charged for a rebuild after returning them. So my vote is for Rockshocks.