Programmable ECU

hoodie2

Can't save much on PTB unless you see one second hand but Maps are available to down load on web sites and try find a friend with PC and leads - unless you just like playing once you get a couple of good maps in I wouldn't mess too much.

You can always post the PTB to someone like Msport to load maps for you if you cant lend leads.Probaly cheaper than buying the full set up!

Msport is definitely worth a try. I have had a few dealing with them and always found them very helpful.

Ebay seems the best place to buy 2nd hand PTB and cables. But it seems that recently the demand has forced the price up in particular the cables. I saw a set go for around

• 5 weeks later...

It would be interesting to know, what kind of effect re-mapping does for 4RT performance. Those of you, who have remapped your equipment, could you please give your opinion if its worth it and does it really change dramatically the bike performance? For me this is more or less a low rev power issue as Im over 90 kg and basic 4RT seems to be really lazy to respond to throttle.

A change in mapping can make a big difference to the way the bike feels and responds to the throttle. It can alter the way the power comes in and how the bike revs out. It can't generate lots more power like a 280 or 300 conversion can but will make a noticeable difference from a soft beginners map to a harsh expert/dry weather map.

Difficulty I find is having time and finding a suitable section to try them on back to back. Especially if trying similar maps. I have switchable PTB and have a played with a few maps. I had a 05 with Sains map which I liked and never changed, My current 09 came with "mild and wild" and a 280 kit and hated the maps (mild too flat and wild was very sharp but felt to drop off higher revs compared to Sains and on double blip step I missed the second stage of throttle response).

Changed to my Sains map and a Mitani 280 map which felt a little similar and bike felt much better and similar to what I was used to. However changed back to a 250 as 280 seemed to be dragging me around.

I stick with Sains map as main map and have tried several maps in the second map. Have tried 250 mitani which is very similar, tried a Scott map from Sandifords which felt a bit like Sains at lower end but flatter at higher revs and I think more efficient. Currently have OTAR5 off http://members.quicknet.nl/sw.zeinstra/4RT/index.htm

Which feels again similar to Sains but flatter and softer. However I find it a little lacking having got so used to Sains map that I tend not to use it. I think if you switch to a map then it is better to get used to it and not use 2 maps in a trial unless maybe you run a soft map as standard and then have a more powerful/aggressive map just for when you need it.

The web site mentioned above has several maps and software downloads which can compare maps.

Anybody else's comments to maps they like would be interesting. I am currently looking at a suitable map for friends bike as he is finding a sains map a little too much for his style of riding -looking for smooth map with minimal engine braking as he is a little harsh on and off the throttle.

It would be interesting to know, what kind of effect re-mapping does for 4RT performance. Those of you, who have remapped your equipment, could you please give your opinion if its worth it and does it really change dramatically the bike performance? For me this is more or less a low rev power issue as Im over 90 kg and basic 4RT seems to be really lazy to respond to throttle.

Worth every penny, made the bike perform how I wanted it too. my local dealer came to my practice area and we tried 3 maps and i had the two I liked set up but just used the one when I had the bike.