TR 280

neo

Is this for real?....But even if it was what manufacture would be stupid enough to sue the very medium that "Social Media Maket's" (promotes) it's industry and their own products?

And how many potentially damaging comments have been put in other pages of this forum in the past?... Was TC threaten then?... And what of all the other product realated forums (millions of them!) have any of them been sued?

Honestly gents is this a public forum based in a democratic country or are we all just living behind the Great Wall? :icon_salut:

Best of balance.

Neo

Great Wall

I can surely tell you that internet forums are not always the best place to recieve accurate information from folks that have a clue. Some posting are just idiots without a clue, yet on the other hand, those in the know shall many times reserve comment or reccomendations. What you find in the end may be difficult to sort, an in a manufacturer taking it all in.

At times,I think there are some that just want to nit-pick soo much, they just need to get a life! :thumbup:

that wouldnt be emma bristows ssdt bike would it? certainly one is .would the other one belong to somebody who also did ssdt? I would think so with the initials.

Edited by Greg

• 2 months later...

Hi Gents,

Had my first "close up" with an Ossa yesterday. I must say that the engineering quality is superb as if they had been producing bikes for years but I must admit there were a few area's of concern ...

• The bike is slight bigger, higher and wider at the top (at what we used to call the tank) than the Sherco and what I had hoped.
  • It balanced amazing well but when rocked from side to side seemed a bit heavier (high up) than the a Sherco.
  • The clutch is light enough but has an enormous amount of travel (lever range) and engages far out from the bars.

The clutch made one finger operation very awkward (for me). Yet fully engaged it still dragged a little.... I didn't mind the drag but the lever range was a real "show stopper" for me as I have my Sherco levers set up for minimal travel.

I'd read somewhere that some UK riders where replacing the master cylinder for higher volume ones. So can someone please come back to me on...

• What master cylinders are being used?
  • How heavy is the clutch after that?
  • Does the clutch drag stop after this mod too?

Best of balance.

Neo

Edited by Neo

My mate bought a brand new Ossa 280 two months back and i've had a couple of rides and i'm impressed. A couple of things that he wasn't a fan of that he pointed out to me were:

1) Kickstart rubs on plastics above footpeg and has worn out a patch

2) He's not a fan of the 'lock-in' kickstand. I had a look and it can't really be lowered by foot, you have to hold the bike with one hand and bend down and use your other hand to unlock and lower the stand, but i'm sure it could be done by foot with practice. At least it won't lower itself!

3) the rear disc brake disc seems to keep loosing bolts, you almost have to tighten it up after every lap. Maybe some stronger locktight?

4) It possibly goes through spark plugs a bit as he had to put a new plug in after only about 3-4 hrs on the bike but this is unconfirmed until he gets more time on the bike.

5) I believe the fuel pump died last week so it was back at the dealer getting a new one.

The same dealer supplies Sherco's where i bought mine from. My mate bought a brand new 2011 Sherco earlier this year from the same dealer and he's had a few drama's with his kickstarter breaking internally and leaking oil and coolant like a sieve (apparently all Shercos leak from the factory?), so it's not brand related. To the dealer's credit, they have repaired and replaced everything under warranty and they are excellent to deal with so you can't ask for better service. After seeing my mate's problems being sorted this is the main reason i went with that dealer.

So the morale? Don't buy a brand new bike, too many problems to sort out... ;)

How does the Ossa ride? Beautiful, it's got very good balance, the power is nice and soft down low but heaps when you twist it. I did some slow figure 8's and some wheel hopping and the lower revs are so nice to use when going slow. I took it for a blast up through the gears and i think i was in 3-4th gear at pace on a straight dirt road and gave the throttle a good twist and it almost spat me off the back - there's so much power! I could see myself getting into trouble! It does feel wider than the shercos but i found that balancing it was a breeze as was hopping and tight turns. You can almost just point it at something, bend you knees and close your eyes and through it goes. The only thing i found was that there was HEAPS of compression so kickstarting it was very hard compared to the 250 sherco and also that you can't never ever find neutral while the engine is running - you have to kill the engine to get it into neutral. This may be related to the pre- mentioned clutch drag as the bike did have some drag. It wasn't too bad when i rode it but it was definately there and he told me that it was very bad when the bike had less than 2 hours on it but it's getting better as it wears in.

All in all an excellent bike. Would i buy one? I don't know but i'd definately take a ride anytime! It's definately got some bling factor.

cheers

I personally doubt frame problems ... the frame work is awesome.

Engine out for the fuel pump... wouldn't worry me.

Back wheels has bearing and a bush... An engineering concept that needs providing by everyday riders I think.

Best of balance.

Neo

My mate bought a brand new Ossa 280 two months back and i've had a couple of rides and i'm impressed. A couple of things that he wasn't a fan of that he pointed out to me were:

1) Kickstart rubs on plastics above footpeg and has worn out a patch

2) He's not a fan of the 'lock-in' kickstand. I had a look and it can't really be lowered by foot, you have to hold the bike with one hand and bend down and use your other hand to unlock and lower the stand, but i'm sure it could be done by foot with practice. At least it won't lower itself!

3) the rear disc brake disc seems to keep loosing bolts, you almost have to tighten it up after every lap. Maybe some stronger locktight?

4) It possibly goes through spark plugs a bit as he had to put a new plug in after only about 3-4 hrs on the bike but this is unconfirmed until he gets more time on the bike.

5) I believe the fuel pump died last week so it was back at the dealer getting a new one.

The same dealer supplies Sherco's where i bought mine from. My mate bought a brand new 2011 Sherco earlier this year from the same dealer and he's had a few drama's with his kickstarter breaking internally and leaking oil and coolant like a sieve (apparently all Shercos leak from the factory?), so it's not brand related. To the dealer's credit, they have repaired and replaced everything under warranty and they are excellent to deal with so you can't ask for better service. After seeing my mate's problems being sorted this is the main reason i went with that dealer.

So the morale? Don't buy a brand new bike, too many problems to sort out... ;)

How does the Ossa ride? Beautiful, it's got very good balance, the power is nice and soft down low but heaps when you twist it. I did some slow figure 8's and some wheel hopping and the lower revs are so nice to use when going slow. I took it for a blast up through the gears and i think i was in 3-4th gear at pace on a straight dirt road and gave the throttle a good twist and it almost spat me off the back - there's so much power! I could see myself getting into trouble! It does feel wider than the shercos but i found that balancing it was a breeze as was hopping and tight turns. You can almost just point it at something, bend you knees and close your eyes and through it goes. The only thing i found was that there was HEAPS of compression so kickstarting it was very hard compared to the 250 sherco and also that you can't never ever find neutral while the engine is running - you have to kill the engine to get it into neutral. This may be related to the pre- mentioned clutch drag as the bike did have some drag. It wasn't too bad when i rode it but it was definately there and he told me that it was very bad when the bike had less than 2 hours on it but it's getting better as it wears in.

All in all an excellent bike. Would i buy one? I don't know but i'd definately take a ride anytime! It's definately got some bling factor.

cheers

I have since been told that it wasn't the fuel pump that died - it was the water pump. It has now been replaced under warranty and is working great. The local dealer here in Australia (MotoCentral) has been absolutely without a doubt excellent with warranty isues. The ossa and it's owner will hopefully be out to my property this weekend for play & practice and i'll get to see how it's performing.

cheers

I have since been told that it wasn't the fuel pump that died - it was the water pump. It has now been replaced under warranty and is working great. The local dealer here in Australia (MotoCentral) has been absolutely without a doubt excellent with warranty isues. The ossa and it's owner will hopefully be out to my property this weekend for play & practice and i'll get to see how it's performing. cheers

Thanks Samy,

But it's the clutch that's a serious show stopper for me. It needs to operate in a much smaller lever range (and without dragging) before I'm sold on this bike (meaning you can find neutral with ease while the engine is running). Clutch plates have been changed on the 2012 models so maybe that's fixed it. :hyper:

Please let me know if you expreiance somthing similar on your mates bike.

Best of balance.

Neo