How often should you change the oil on a 2011 Gas Gas?

trials_125

Some people say after 3/4 trials, some people say 4 times a year...what do you think?

Really down to you, I know of some crazies that do it after every trial.... and some that do it every 6 months or so!

I personally do it every 6-8 trials, but as mentioned really down to what you want to do.

On a new bike I'd probably say every 3-4 trials but as it gets more run in the you can space out a bit more.

What are you putting in / planning to use oil wise?

it really depends on how you use the bike, its a splash feed anyway so its usually only small particals of gears and clutch deposits that get suspended in the oil. If your only using for light club trials easily 20 rides.

I just take a peek through the sight glass. When I see it changing from a red colour to a darker colour from the clutch plate contaminants then I do an oil change.

I would think that when you see the dark color it's too late (and how dark is "dark"). Low level moisture contamination and the breaking down of lubrication additives will probably not show in color and "color" a lot more subjective in nature than hours of operation. You will also want to change the oil after a wet Trial, regardless of color.

Certainly judging color is one way to schedule maintenance but I think that hours of operation may be a little better for the engine over time. You want to prevent the gear teeth and roller/needle bearings from having to run in contaminated oil in the first place.

Jon

I would think that when you see the dark color it's too late (and how dark is "dark"). Low level moisture contamination and the breaking down of lubrication additives will probably not show in color and "color" a lot more subjective in nature than hours of operation. You will also want to change the oil after a wet Trial, regardless of color.

Certainly judging color is one way to schedule maintenance but I think that hours of operation may be a little better for the engine over time. You want to prevent the gear teeth and roller/needle bearings from having to run in contaminated oil in the first place.

Jon

When I say darker colour I am talking relative to the original colour of the oil, not dark in colour. I use ATF and it is a translucent red. When it starts to become not as translucent from the clutch particles I do an oil change. This works out to around 6 oil changes a year for me. As I am not fortunate to be able to ride on a fixed timetable it works out that I ride a lot more some months than others. I basically would have 3 options to keep track of when to change the oil.

1. Use an hour meter

2. Write down in a book the hours ridden

3. Use the colour of my oil as a guide

I choose 3 because it is the easiest and if you look at the recommendations suggested 6 oil changes a year seems to be ok. I like doing splatters and jap zaps so my oil does not take long to get contaminated with clutch particles. I suppose if this is not your riding style it would not be a good way to gauge when to do an oil change. Have you ever looked at the condition of the oil that gets drained out of your motor vehicle sump, and that does a harder job of lubricating the pistons, big end, cams etc.

I will however do a flush and oil change immediately if the oil gets any water in it whatsoever.

When I say darker colour I am talking relative to the original colour of the oil, not dark in colour. I use ATF and it is a translucent red. When it starts to become not as translucent from the clutch particles I do an oil change. This works out to around 6 oil changes a year for me. As I am not fortunate to be able to ride on a fixed timetable it works out that I ride a lot more some months than others. I basically would have 3 options to keep track of when to change the oil.

1. Use an hour meter

2. Write down in a book the hours ridden

3. Use the colour of my oil as a guide

I choose 3 because it is the easiest and if you look at the recommendations suggested 6 oil changes a year seems to be ok. I like doing splatters and jap zaps so my oil does not take long to get contaminated with clutch particles. I suppose if this is not your riding style it would not be a good way to gauge when to do an oil change. Have you ever looked at the condition of the oil that gets drained out of your motor vehicle sump, and that does a harder job of lubricating the pistons, big end, cams etc.

I will however do a flush and oil change immediately if the oil gets any water in it whatsoever.

That makes sense to me. A little different from the hours of operation method, but thoughtful and the end result is basically the same and it takes into consideration operating conditions also.

Jon