Lighter clutch

curt531

WOw, they sell 12 sockets/wrenches everywhere.

I had to re-edit this, Math and Eyeballs almost got confused... almost all "normal Nuts or bolts" have 6 sides to them, and same # of points. But wrenches can have 6 or 12 points, with a 12 point, you can risk slipping and rounding the points on the nut, but the 6 sided wrench doesnt work as well in a limited area where you cannot move the wrench every far to get it back on the nut... you have to be able to move 1/6ths of the rotation, to get another bite, where as a 12point you move 1/2 that or 1/12th the rotation to get another bite. FWIW, I like 6 points if working on a nut that is needing lots of torque or is rusty, less likely to slip or tear up a nut.

But 12 point should fit the clutch bolts, because all they did was make the heads of those bolts less likely to be rounded off because it fits in your 12 point wrench more exactly.

12 point wrenchs or sockets, It is NOT a special socket, but ANY even your AUTOMOBILE parts shops should have the 2 types of sockets, and or boxed in wrenches, one with 6 sides and or points inside the boxed end, the other with 12 points (double the points) inside the boxed end.

Sorry about my math in the earlier post, I shoud have said 6 or 12 point, not 8 or 12 point, It was earlier in the morning for me... here are the 2 examples of "MOST COMMONLY sold wrenches...

6 sides, like the normal nuts have) 6 points or 6 sides, looks just like it was the cookie cutter the nut you are working on See this picture I hope.

21V3mOOKdpL.jpg

12 point, makes a wrench have to move not quite as far to get the next "bite" or grip on a nut/bolt...

KTI-41312-open-end-wrenches-Lrg.jpg

Edited by sting32

WOw, they sell 12 sockets/wrenches everywhere.

I had to re-edit this, Math and Eyeballs almost got confused... almost all "normal Nuts or bolts" have 6 sides to them, and same # of points. But wrenches can have 6 or 12 points, with a 12 point, you can risk slipping and rounding the points on the nut, but the 6 sided wrench doesnt work as well in a limited area where you cannot move the wrench every far to get it back on the nut... you have to be able to move 1/6ths of the rotation, to get another bite, where as a 12point you move 1/2 that or 1/12th the rotation to get another bite. FWIW, I like 6 points if working on a nut that is needing lots of torque or is rusty, less likely to slip or tear up a nut.

But 12 point should fit the clutch bolts, because all they did was make the heads of those bolts less likely to be rounded off because it fits in your 12 point wrench more exactly.

12 point wrenchs or sockets, It is NOT a special socket, but ANY even your AUTOMOBILE parts shops should have the 2 types of sockets, and or boxed in wrenches, one with 6 sides and or points inside the boxed end, the other with 12 points (double the points) inside the boxed end.

Sorry about my math in the earlier post, I shoud have said 6 or 12 point, not 8 or 12 point, It was earlier in the morning for me... here are the 2 examples of "MOST COMMONLY sold wrenches...

6 sides, like the normal nuts have) 6 points or 6 sides, looks just like it was the cookie cutter the nut you are working on See this picture I hope.

21V3mOOKdpL.jpg

12 point, makes a wrench have to move not quite as far to get the next "bite" or grip on a nut/bolt...

KTI-41312-open-end-wrenches-Lrg.jpg

No normal 6 sided wrenches don't fit the GasGas nut, they don't even fit even nowhere near (see pic). Found a good 7mm ring ended spanner in my box at work and that done the trick.

20130723_145121_zps9ffb239d.jpg

BTW I'm an Aerospace engineer so have a pretty good grasp on what spanners fit which bolts and the theory behind 6 and 12 sided fits so can definitely 100% say that a 'normal' 6 sided wrench will not fit these bolts. All I asked was if anyone knew exactly what the GasGas screws were as at that point I had nothing to hand that would fit them.

And at the time I was looking for a 12 sided socket not wrench so the stores I tried locally did not have any, they were:

G&R Fasteners

Srewfix

B&Q

Hurns Hardware

Stonehouse Autoparts

Halfords

Yes they had 12 sided wrenches but I have one of those at work so didn't want a duplicate purchase.

Edited by sawtooth

Anyways I can confirm that the lighter spring fits and is also a little lighter as expected. I do seem to have gained clutcg drag though no matter where I have the adjuster set to, even with fresh Putoline oil? Is my GasGas manual correct stating 550ml of oil or is it another mistake? If the oil amount is right I'll go through Jims video on setting the lever and see if that helps.

Edited by sawtooth

I think the 550ml of oil is for the pre-pro engines

and the pro- engines most are running somewhere around the 350ml-400ml amounts. A quick easy way to decide if you have enough is fill with 350ml and then have the bike on the tires on level ground and make sure that the oil level is at least halfway up the sight glass. if it is then good, but if not add a bit more until you are happy with the level, and then remember that amount for future oil changes.

I think the 550ml of oil is for the pre-pro engines

and the pro- engines most are running somewhere around the 350ml-400ml amounts. A quick easy way to decide if you have enough is fill with 350ml and then have the bike on the tires on level ground and make sure that the oil level is at least halfway up the sight glass. if it is then good, but if not add a bit more until you are happy with the level, and then remember that amount for future oil changes.

Zippy,

I have no idea where the 550ml came from, undoubtedly a very dark place.......:) The factory seemed to kick that and a few other numbers around for a while, not sure why.

The pre-Pros took 650/700ml and my 2002 Pro with the Mag cases takes about 360ml. I've found that about 425ml for the 2003 on up seems to work well, but I like to keep the level towards the top of the glass so 400 should also work well.

The key is to keep the oil clean and moisture-free.

Jon

• Like 1

Zippy,

I have no idea where the 550ml came from, undoubtedly a very dark place....... :) The factory seemed to kick that and a few other numbers around for a while, not sure why.

The pre-Pros took 650/700ml and my 2002 Pro with the Mag cases takes about 360ml. I've found that about 425ml for the 2003 on up seems to work well, but I like to keep the level towards the top of the glass so 400 should also work well.

The key is to keep the oil clean and moisture-free.

Jon

Well, I guessed on the 550ml and was wrong. :( I am glad it was corrected and somebody didn't use my recommendation and end up with a shredded gearbox from not enough oil.

I have been putting 400ml in my 2003. But I did find out that if the bike is on the rear tire and vertical there is a definite possibility of the gearbox oil dribbling out a bit (25ml or so)

anywhere in the upper half of the sight glass should be ok.

If you want to be sure there is still enough in there, then have the level just under the top of the sight glass. Ya know just enough down so you can see the top of the oil.

Setting level (ish) on both tires

anywhere in the upper half of the sight glass should be ok.

If you want to be sure there is still enough in there, then have the level just under the top of the sight glass. Ya know just enough down so you can see the top of the oil.

Setting level (ish) on both tires

Ok great, thanks. Stupid manual.

BLA BLAH BLAH, no **** Sherlock...

THanks... made me feel like you misread my whole post, with pictures and everything. I'm sorry for even trying to help, it wasn't rocket surgery...

FWIW, in the states, the 2 types of wrenches or sockets are side by side in every store I've been in except maybe Dollar General's Chinese crap in the "automotive fragrance" section... So, From the uber expensive "snap on" trucks, to Cheap ass Harbor Freight. you said nobody has them, so, then I was thinking at first that I mislead you about the "number of points" so I made damn sure I even put up pictures. Jesus Chrysler.

• 2 weeks later...

I use LHM (citroen spec - Liquid Hydraulic Mineral) in my clutch master cylinder, much better than ATF; makes for a light pull. For gearbox oil, I use castrol 10w 30 power 1 fully synthetic - approx 400ml, so it sits at about 1/2 way on the sight glass when cold. IMHO, putoline sucks (aside from the blue air filter oil)

Sting - chill out yeah?