Sticking on Tank Badges

keychange

Hi - I have finally fitted a new tank/seat to my 76 Cota 247 and I have a new set of badges (soft sort of plastic) ready to apply. The tank is new and so very shiny and woudld hate for the badges to fall off somewhere in the paddock so rather than resorting to my trustee cyanoacrylate (superglue) I thought I better ask advice eg: should I roughen the nice new shiny surface where the badges are fitted? And what glue is going to work best with a fibreglass fuel tank?

Hi - I have finally fitted a new tank/seat to my 76 Cota 247 and I have a new set of badges (soft sort of plastic) ready to apply. The tank is new and so very shiny and woudld hate for the badges to fall off somewhere in the paddock so rather than resorting to my trustee cyanoacrylate (superglue) I thought I better ask advice eg: should I roughen the nice new shiny surface where the badges are fitted? And what glue is going to work best with a fibreglass fuel tank?

hi, try taking the shine off with some wet and dry, then stick on with RTV silicon (clear would be good). i have stuck stainless steel badges to ABS fairings with this method, and never had a fail. :thumbup:

hi, try taking the shine off with some wet and dry, then stick on with RTV silicon (clear would be good). i have stuck stainless steel badges to ABS fairings with this method, and never had a fail. :thumbup:

I've had success using contact cement to attach those plastic badges.

• 2 weeks later...

Unless you've bought a different kind of badge, they should be self-adhesive, just peel off the backing and stick on, same as Bultaco badges.

These stick fine to new paint, nothing else is needed.

• 1 month later...

I concur with the silicone sealant recomendations. Stay away from the super-glue stuff and just use a good silicone sealant like Permatex Ultra. I've used it for years on my Montesa's and it works great.

Edited by nh014

Why would you want to use these adhesives? The badges are self adhesive and stick just fine. I haven't lost one yet on a Bultaco and the bikes takes real abuse.

If you use the adhesive what happens if you ever want to remove them to repaint the tank. Masking round them will look a mess.

I must coyly admit that when I posted this I didn't take a close look at the self adhesvive backing - when I checked it did look quite robust- I cut the surface back on the tank and fitted them as 6 weeks ago and all is well so far - no sign of anything falling off - but if anything moves I will pour on the silicone

Woody's right, the self adhesive is fine IF you stick it to shiny paint. Don't rough it up first, you'd be reducing contact area with the sticky tape. It's not like when you paint, roughening it up increases contact area when the paint flows into the scratches... that said, silicone will work too...

Just do me one favour please, put the tank ON the bike and make the "M" level with the ground. I've seen a lot of them put level with the table that the tank was sitting on when the logo was installed.

after.jpg

• Like 1