Which One?

spawtydawg

Hi everyone, I'm a new member so a quick hello. I'm sure this has probably been discussed before but I

want to change bikes and would appreciate your opinions. The bikes I am interested in are a Yamaha ty250,

Montesa cota349, or a bultaco250/325. Is any one of them better than the other handling, reliability

wise etc? and are there any to avoid. I know there are othermakes of bikes out there but these are the ones

I grew up with and have nostalgic appeal.I'm an avaerage clubman trials rider and would like a competative

twinshock bike. Thanks in advance, Spawtydawg.

Hi everyone, I'm a new member so a quick hello. I'm sure this has probably been discussed before but I

want to change bikes and would appreciate your opinions. The bikes I am interested in are a Yamaha ty250,

Montesa cota349, or a bultaco250/325. Is any one of them better than the other handling, reliability

wise etc? and are there any to avoid. I know there are othermakes of bikes out there but these are the ones

I grew up with and have nostalgic appeal.I'm an avaerage clubman trials rider and would like a competative

Buy with your head then go Jap

Buy with your heart go Spanish

Any of them will do the trick,but despite what anyone says a standard TY250 is a reliable and easy bike to use in twinshock trials.The few parts needed to keep them going are easy and mostly cheap to buy.They steer well and dont need any special mods to win.You only have to watch someone like Barry Barthorpe on his bog standard TY to realise how well they work.

Just to put in my two bobs worth in, I reckon go Montesa. I have two 247's and two 348's as well as a Ty250. The Monty's, to me seem to handle so much better and that is probably because I don't ride the Ty that often. I find the Montesas lighter than the Ty and more responsive. My suggestion is try all the brands out before you buy and whichever you feel right with, go for it.

Just to put in my two bobs worth in, I reckon go Montesa. I have two 247's and two 348's as well as a Ty250. The Monty's, to me seem to handle so much better and that is probably because I don't ride the Ty that often. I find the Montesas lighter than the Ty and more responsive. My suggestion is try all the brands out before you buy and whichever you feel right with, go for it.

Problem with Montesa here is spares availability. That in itself should be a big factor when you decide which bike to go for. TY and Bultaco are pretty well catered for but strangely not as well catered for as Villiers and Triumph Cub Pre65 bikes. Weird that :popcorn:

Thanks for your imput guys, have gone with my heart and have got myself a running project cota349

"circa 1980."

Will let you no how I get on with it. :hl:

Oh dear..... :blink: You wouldnt like a 1969 MK1 247 Cota to keep it company would you ?

Oh dear..... :blink: You wouldnt like a 1969 MK1 247 Cota to keep it company would you ?

Thanks but no thanks, running out of space, have all ready got a Japanese, Sweede, Italian and now a Spaniard

in my garage and knowing how tempermental they are ( my wifes Spanish ) I think one's enough. :rotfl:

Thats good then - the Mont is well down on my list of "projects" but I sort of decided never to sell any of my bikes again.Mostly because I regret parting with most of them.And the thought that my life may one day allow me the time to get on with sorting them all out.

Good luck with the 349,when its sorted you are most welcome to come down and ride some Bath Classic trials.... :thumbup: