Replacing spokes

peet

I have 3 spokes that are bent, 2 in the front wheel and 1 in the rear wheel. Ordered new ones online.

Do I have to take the tires off? Or can I just screw the old spoke out and put the new one in?

Hammers are too sophisticated, I use a stone.

For some perverse reason, Charlie, I believe you...

Here's a little "trick" I've used for decades to bend or straighten parts, from spokes, subframes to sump shields and beyond.

Two Cresent wrenches work very well, just imagine the pipe as a spoke or any part you want to put a lot of torque on and be able

to easily control how much you want to bend.

Better than a rock.....:)

Jon

post-2532-0-97719000-1306521296.jpg

you can change without even taking the wheel off.. i did three on my Yam road bike. keep tyre inflated... cut damaged spoke in half, wiggle the end on the hub out. unscreww other end from nipple ( inflated tyre will stop it falling into rim) get new spoke and insert hub end you ll probably find that spoke is too long to get into nipple even if you press nipple in so cut maybe 5mm from end of spoke and get in in.. tighten up all okay.. when riding abroad i kept have a dozen front and rear spokes ready cut tapped to the inside of my headlight cowl, only needed them once in 40k of continetal motoring on a campsite just outside Gyor in Hungary.