Forks tucking under on drop offs

vmeldrew

I am experiencing some problems with drop offs where the front forks are tucking in under the bike. I had this with my 07 pro and still get it with a brand new pro.

This is on drop offs that others can ride down rather than severe ones that require you to lift the front on the way down.

I am putting the problem down to the way I have the bars / forks set up rather than technique. I am leaning back plenty, but the fact that I am 6 foot 3 and weight 16 stone (220 lbs) and have a long body and short (ish) legs probably doesn't help. I have not changed the suspension settings from new. The forks are not bottoming out, but they are pretty well compressed when they want to throw me over the bars.

I currently have the bars forward of vertical. Hopefully somebody else has experienced this problem and has an idea of a solution, otherwise there are an infinite number of variables.

Al

Remember if you have a large amount of preload on the rear shock it will unload somewhat enthusiastically once your weight is off it. You may want to investigate a heavier spring with less preload and slightly higher rebound damping.

Edited by Dan Williams

Thanks for that guys.

So it seems in the US it is normal to upgrade springs and make suspension adjustments. I am not aware of anywhere in the UK that sells upgraded springs. I am guessing the bikes are probably factory built for Joe average weight. So upgraded springs would make sense. Are they readily available in the US?

As for the bar position. I have moved the bars to vertical, and they feel a little comfier but a little cramped they are probably 1/2 inch higher and 1/2 inch further back. But would such a small adjustment make much difference? Again with risers, how much makes a difference? I could go on forever and not even know when its right. Is there any science behind bar position? or is it just simply trial (geddit?) and error.

Al

I'm the same height as you and a stone heavier and I've never had a problem with standard spring rates on any modern bike I've owned or ridden. I don't own a modern bike any more but I've ridden a couple recently, one of which was a newish 300 GasGas and if I bought one I'd have no need to alter the suspension, so I don't think that is your problem. What you're describing sounds normal, the forks will use up most of their travel on a descent but without bottoming, which you say they aren't.

More likely you are not getting a feeling that all is not right, maybe lack of confidence/experience? I don't know what level you're riding at but due to your question I'm guessing novice/not experienced?

I'm also guessing you have fatbars fitted as I think they are standard on most bikes now and they aren't all that high (or never used to be, I'm a bit out of touch with this stuff now) Maybe swap to 7/8" conventional bars and get a 6" rise, set them just forward of vertical and that should give a comfortable riding position and allow you to get back on the bike over descents. You have to get your backside over the back mudguard on steeper drops and brace more with your arms which is more difficult with lower bars pushed too far forward if you're tall.

Next time you are out, get someone experienced to watch you over a drop that you think is giving you problems in order to observe your body positioning. Also, try it on someone else's bike and see if you get the same impression. I'm pretty sure it is down to the way you are riding the descents rather than a suspension issue as stock suspension should (does) easily cope with our size. Have a look at your approach with the help of someone else and try it on another bike before going to the time and expense of swapping to heavier springs. You could always increase the preload a touch before opting for that anyway.

Get that butt back!

This photo will probably expose my poor technique to the world, but it's one of the very few I have...

Hurleyrock-1.jpg

But don't get your butt back before you nose over the drop,I stay in a normal position except crouched down low on bike until the bike tips down away from me,I extend my arms as it goes over.Otherwise it feels like I'm being catapulted over the bars on a drop if I get back over the rear fender when when the bike is still up on the level,Might not be what's recommended but it works for me.