Montesa tank unit

slogger

Having just picked up a 348 in fairly good nick,one area that could do with a little attention is the tank unit. The fibreglass is thin around the area where your legs rub and there are a few rough edges that could do with smoothing / filling.

I have had some experience of fibreglass sheets and epoxy based fibreglass fillers in the past but wondered about peoples experiences on the following:

1) What do you use to both strengthen the main structure (on the inside of the tank) and reshape/fill any cracked / thin areas on the outer side

2) What is the basic technique / materials used to respray a fibreglass tank cover

thanks in advance

Rob

I had the same problem with my 348 except mine was porous and it leaked. After spending hours on it fiber glassing it, getting the shape right and then painting it the thing still leaked. For some reason ordinary fiber glass just does not the job. In the end I took the tank and had it repaired at a boat shop. They use a special kind of fiber glass and epoxy to repair fiber glass fuel tanks in boats which is not affected by petrol. It has not leaked since. For the paint I just used a good undercoat and acrylic paint to finish it off. Hope that helps

To get a correct answer on this you need to say whether it is just a fibreglass tank cover with the alloy tank underneath, as fitted to the UK bikes imported at the time, or whether it is an actual fibreglass fuel tank.

The repair methods will be different, the fibreglass cover will be easier to repair.

Edited by Woody

• 2 weeks later...