Ossa TR280i frame

zippy

I think the Ossa looks to be very innovative and cool. But I have a question about the frame. I have done some research and am unable to find the answer. Frame: CR-MO steel tube profile with pipe and bottom made of cast aluminium So how are these cast aluminum pieces attached to the CR-MO steel tubes? I can't see any bolts. Am i blind, daft or just missing something?

Also any concern of damage to the lower portion of the fuel tank with having the skid plate mounted to it? Could be quite a bit of stress on the lower part of fuel tank with the skid plate being bashed and bending around a bit.

Edited by ZIPPY

I think the Ossa looks to be very innovative and cool. But I have a question about the frame. I have done some research and am unable to find the answer. Frame: CR-MO steel tube profile with pipe and bottom made of cast aluminium So how are these cast aluminum pieces attached to the CR-MO steel tubes? I can't see any bolts. Am i blind, daft or just missing something?

Also any concern of damage to the lower portion of the fuel tank with having the skid plate mounted to it? Could be quite a bit of stress on the lower part of fuel tank with the skid plate being bashed and bending around a bit.

Glued

'Also any concern of damage to the lower portion of the fuel tank with having the skid plate mounted to it? Could be quite a bit of stress on the lower part of fuel tank with the skid plate being bashed and bending around a bit'

All the ones going round the Scottish this year seemed ok, plenty of bashplate bashing going on there.

So how are these cast aluminum pieces attached to the CR-MO steel tubes? I can't see any bolts.

Excellent question!!

Glued

That's what I guess too :huh:

Pending my wrist healing I'll be at Windsor next weekend if you want to take a close look at the frame.

Yes please do Borus :thumbup:

Best of balance.

Neo

Pending my wrist healing I'll be at Windsor next weekend if you want to take a close look at the frame.

That would be cool!! I shall be there as well. :thumbup:

Can you tell us how the cast aluminum pieces are attached to the CR-MO tubing?

Yes, I understand you have an "interest" in the bike, yada yada yada but I think this falls under the category of general knowledge.

Edited by ZIPPY

'Also any concern of damage to the lower portion of the fuel tank with having the skid plate mounted to it? Could be quite a bit of stress on the lower part of fuel tank with the skid plate being bashed and bending around a bit'

All the ones going round the Scottish this year seemed ok, plenty of bashplate bashing going on there.

So the fuel tank is beefy enough to handle the stresses. Good to know.

thanks all for the replies.

I've had a good close look at Paul Davies' bike in the cambs area. It's a piece of jewellery as far as I'm concerned. It's an approach that I appreciate: define the problem, devise a solution WITHOUT looking too closely at previous strategies.

Regarding the frame construction; this isn't entirely new. Go and look at Benelli's more recent road bikes. They use exactly the same approach. Whilst the stresses are different; I think I'd be a lot more concerned about frame integrity on a 170+ mph superbike than on a trials bike!

Graham

Regarding the frame construction; this isn't entirely new. Go and look at Benelli's more recent road bikes. They use exactly the same approach. Whilst the stresses are different; I think I'd be a lot more concerned about frame integrity on a 170+ mph superbike than on a trials bike!

Graham

OK, it's not a new approach, but what is that approach that actually holds the cast aluminum to the CR-MO tubing?

....but what is that approach that actually holds the cast aluminum to the CR-MO tubing?

:agreed: Yea super glue or techno horse poo :rotfl: ..... Someone must know the magic :marky:

Best of balance.

Neo

That's not glue, son...that's an aerospace grade industrial adhesive! :icon_salut:

AAAAAH so it's the really good stuff to be sniffing!! :madnoel::hyper:

Thanks for the replies gents. Hopefully I get to see one in the flesh (metal) on Sunday.