ariel ajs or triumph

martyd

Guys got decision to make

Looking for a "NEW" bike

Thinking of a Triumph twin well modified

a Rigid ajs/Matchless

Or a Ariel

What would be the best for "Modern trials sections yet stiil Scottish pre 65 acceptable

Looking forward to your thoughts

Marty D

Guys got decision to make

Looking for a "NEW" bike

Thinking of a Triumph twin well modified

a Rigid ajs/Matchless

Or a Ariel

What would be the best for "Modern trials sections yet stiil Scottish pre 65 acceptable

Looking forward to your thoughts

Marty D

I'm leaning towards the Rigid ajs.

I'm leaning towards the Rigid ajs.

I like the thoughts of the Rigid

But really to make them rideable in mordern section would it not have to be raised and well modified/

thus making it no scottish eligible?

Thanks Marty

Ariel=expensive

Triumph Twin=350 is okay(500 is a beast,esspecily mine was with 650 mx cams)

Matchless=i would go for that,but a springer.

Try all and you find out what bike will suit you.

Chrs:Mike

got a little question on the ariel subject.

does anyone know who had the stand right at the far end of the far hall on the right at wrightys show who was selling quite nicely made ariel ally tanks for a reasonable price?

they seemed to have had the same location at the show for the last 2 years running?

Hy Guy's

Was It perhaps Terry Weedy. as his tanks are of good quality and at the right price. I am just about to ask him for a couple of tanks for Ariel HT's. PS, A Matchless will cost you has much to build as an Ariel, if you use the right bits.

Regards Charlie.

Good luck i can never seem to get anything out of him in fact i've given up on him as a supplier. Shame as i wanted to place a couple of decent orders but got fed up of banging my head on a brick wall :wall:

• 1 year later...

Hi Marty,

About 30 years ago I used to ride a road based rigid G3L in local trials, but the sections become more focused on Cubs, C15s, and the like, and the Matchless was too heavy and didn't have the clearance to keep up. On its last outing there was only one section that it could clear if both wheels were kept on the ground!

I was interested in your ad, as I've recently been looking at a very rough G3LS that is lying at the back of the shed, and wondering if it could be the start of a new pre 65 trials bike.

I've started to pick up a few bits, and have been doing my research. I haven't mentioned to my wife that I'm thinking of a new frame, but there is plenty of time for that later...

While there looks to be plenty of pre 65 events on the mainland, I am a bit unsure of the number of suitable local events. I live just up the road from you, over the hill towards holwyood, and I don't want to spend time amd money putting together a bike that I wont get to ride unless I take a ferry! Otherwise I could save money and pick up a twin shock, or even a modern, and have an event every weekend.

Before I get too carried away, I'd be interested to hear if you got anywhere with your original thought of a heavyweight, and if you have any feel for the number of local events and the type of bikes that are turning out for them.

Cheers

Ken

Ment to mention, if you are still thinking of this I also have a Grumph project hidden away.

Its a triumph 350 twin (5Ta bottom cases with 3Ta top end) built into a Greeves MX3 (i think) motocrosser frame with banana forks. I keep looking at it thinking it is a better bet than building the Matchless, and would be less work and money to finish off, but the matchless is what interests me at the minute so a deal might be possible...

Good to hear your keeping the spirit of the bikes alive and not going for a C13, Bantam or similar.

I'm in the process of building an Ariel at the moment, the parts are pretty easy to get hold of and there's a lot of knowlegable people out there.

I'm also reframing my Matchless springer and have taken the opportunity to use some lightweight hubs. One important thing to take into account is the ignition system, I've gone the electronic route on both bikes, the Ariel has a Interspan in a PAL whilst the Matchless has Interspan in a Lucas NC1.

Good luck i can never seem to get anything out of him in fact i've given up on him as a supplier. Shame as i wanted to place a couple of decent orders but got fed up of banging my head on a brick wall :wall:

For information only - ordered a splined kickstart quadrant & kickstart by phone from Terry on Monday of this week, it was delivered today.

Fantastic service.