How to get to spark plug?

sweersz

Hey guys! I picked up a Beta yesterday and cannot get it running. :( It has fuel in it but I'm not sure if it's getting spark. The guy I got it from said it hasn't ran for a good year. There is really nice compression but it doesn't fire up. I have no clue how to get to the plug, can someone please tell me what to do? The plug looks pretty bad from the outside. I'm new to this... any help would be much appreciated to get this thing rippin'! Thanks.

dsc08685w.jpg

dsc08661.jpg

dsc08666o.jpg

dsc08668j.jpg

dsc08674r.jpg

dsc08675f.jpg

dsc08678u.jpg

By the way, what is something like this worth? Thanks!

Start unbolting the tank/Mud guard etc, it should all pull apart easily enough I'd have thought. Clean fuel tank out, new fuel, clean carb, new plug etc.....it's how I would start anyway :icon_salut:

Hope it goes well for ye, looks a nice oldie :thumbup:

Hey guys! I picked up a Beta yesterday and cannot get it running. :( It has fuel in it but I'm not sure if it's getting spark. The guy I got it from said it hasn't ran for a good year. There is really nice compression but it doesn't fire up. I have no clue how to get to the plug, can someone please tell me what to do? The plug looks pretty bad from the outside. I'm new to this... any help would be much appreciated to get this thing rippin'! Thanks.

By the way, what is something like this worth? Thanks!

Get that thing running and we should have a Air Mono party at Sam's in New Paris next year! I'll bring my Fantic 309 and my TY350 :banana2:

Just put my 309 back together after tearing it down to inspect and do some cosmetic upgrades. Rode it in my backyard and forgot how much the old thing rips,it'll eat my 03 Gasgas 280 for lunch!

I loaned my TY350 to JimmyZ last weekend while we were laying out Stoney Lonesome sections,he pronounce it fit to ride. ^_^

Don't forget to check the air filter while doing what Thedbf suggests,it'll really need all that stuff serviced,best if you don't even attempt to fire it until you bring all the fuel system up to snuff. While you have the carb off take a peek at the reeds to make sure they're closing. If you don't have spark then clean all the grounds for the ignition including the engine to frame mounting area before spending any money on parts.

If your new to trials then if you get the Beta sorted it's "worth" as much as having a new one,you can do absolutely anything on it you'd be able to do on a watercooled,plus you'll have intimate knowledge of how your bike works.

If your looking for actual cash value I will say that I paid $600 for my TY350,it was running,maybe equal cosmetic to your Beta,but tires were unusable(was able to give her hand-me-downs though).Paid $800 for Fantic 309,also running,better cosmetically.I've seen early watercooled Gasgas go for around $1000 running,riding stopping.All Middle-America prices.

Thanks guys! I got it all apart and am cleaning the internals so I can get her running. It's good to know that I didn't pay too much; I'm a sucker for anything with two wheels! :biggrinsanta:

Edited by sweersz

Awesome, I just bought the same bike three days ago. Mine came without the top of the motor so I'll be sourcing parts for some time. Thanks for posting photos of what mine should look like.

Cool! I have all of the internals exposed so I can take some more shots for ya! Good luck on your build, I'm sure it's going to be sweet! The rear brake on mine doesn't work so I'm going to have to fix that somehow... hmmm. Ride on! :biggrinsanta:

• 3 weeks later...

There is an easy way to get to the spark plug on these tr's put your hand under the seat bit and pull up wards this will lift up two bits of plastic which hold the seat bit down, then you just move it forward and the tank and the seat come off in one peace easly within seconds.

Cool! I have all of the internals exposed so I can take some more shots for ya! Good luck on your build, I'm sure it's going to be sweet! The rear brake on mine doesn't work so I'm going to have to fix that somehow... hmmm. Ride on! :biggrinsanta:

I'd love to see some more photos from under the tank. I'm missing the CDI coil and don't have the foggiest idea what it should look like. Also the air filter element. I'll PM you with my e-mail address. Maybe we can learn some things together.