Help with non runner

pugslee

Hi Guys

Can anyone help or advise with my non running sherpa 350 199*****

It used to start up 4/5 kick and run ok. I was out on it at the weekend and it started to run rougth.

I thought it was running out of petrol so went for res but made no diffrence. It then would not tick over and stalled three times on the way home finally giving up all together, and had to be recovered.

I thought it felt like fuel starvation so stripped the carb,cleaned it and blew out with air compressor and re built. Still wont fire, tried bumping down hill and still wont go. New plug with a nice bright white spark but no joy. Have re stripped carb fitted with new slide as there was a very small piece missing from bottom, new needle main jet and mixture screw. The plug looks wet when removed. had exhaust off and looked in port. Rings and bore look good almost new looking, has good compression.

Any ideas as i am at the end of my tether and bloody fed up with kicking the cow over.

Hi Guys

It used to start up 4/5 kick and run ok. I was out on it at the weekend and it started to run rougth.

I thought it was running out of petrol so went for res but made no diffrence. It then would not tick over and stalled three times on the way home finally giving up all together, and had to be recovered.

I thought it felt like fuel starvation so stripped the carb,cleaned it and blew out with air compressor and re built. Still wont fire, tried bumping down hill and still wont go. New plug with a nice bright white spark but no joy. Have re stripped carb fitted with new slide as there was a very small piece missing from bottom, new needle main jet and mixture screw. The plug looks wet when removed. had exhaust off and looked in port. Rings and bore look good almost new looking, has good compression.

Any ideas as i am at the end of my tether and bloody fed up with kicking the cow over.

try a new condenser.

Hi Guys

Any ideas hi may be suking air in somewhere have you checked your inlet rubbers? or it could be your cranck seals need changing. this happened to me. but befor looking at your seals try. and eliminate the obvious like mentioned the condeser fuel is your plug oiled up? if so clean it hope this helps

If the plug is dry, it's normaly the carb. But in your case you say the plug is wet. and you have a spark. could be firing in the wrong place. on the older bikes that had a keyway. if that broke the timing would go out

Edited by zoolord

Hi Guys

Thanks for respone

I have had the flywheel off and the keyway and key are fine, I have put in a new condensor just because i had the flywheel off but the old one has only been in 3 months.I have re set timing and points gap to top dead centre.I have checked inlet rubber this looks good (no holes or splits). I have removed the bowl and its full of fuel so thats getting in as the plugs wet. Its been mentioned that the crank seals could be worn and letting in air.

Would this cause a non runner or just bad running.

Cheers for all the help.

Hello to all. You said you reset timing to top dead centre. the timing on a 199 is specified in the handbook as 2.8 to 3.0 before top dead centre going off my memory but it is up to you to have where you like it. if the points were opening on TDC it would not run. Just a thought. I like it at 2.8 before TDC. Plug gap should also be at .40mm same as the points. Bully Lover.

Edited by bullylover

Hi to all

Just to let you know i have re built the bike and it started first kick. I cant tell you what it was because i have done that many diffrent things to it in the last two weeks it could have been any of them. But its now a runner, and starts runs and ticks over better than before.

A very big thanks to all who responded with helpfull tips.

Its this kind of help that makes Trials Central the place to be.

Cheers