Majesty history / info

andy m

This has possibly been asked / covered before. Has anyone got info on the numbers of original Majesty Yamahas 250s produced?? I am curious to know how many Yam framed bikes were modified, as well as numbers of the later Godden framed bikes were produced.

I have an early Yam framed bike, it needs cosmetics more than anything,the frame is black and doesn't look as if it has ever been painted since it was originally built, all frames seem to be red . yellow or white??,I am wodering if it is one of the 1st?? 1978 S reg, it sold recently on the bay but highest bidder was clearly bored and decided to bid but not contact me after so I have decided to keep it.

Any info would be greatly appreciated..... :thumbup:

I don't think you will find any production numbers for the Majesty unless you can persuade Shirty to help which is doubtful, assuming he kept records. First bikes were 1977 maybe.

As far as I recall, all bikes had yellow frames including the first Godden bikes. Then they were chromed, then I think Yamaha insisted they be done in corporate Yam colour of red/white, so last Godden bikes with the rear mudguard loop removed had red frames. Yours was probably stripped and done black by an owner at some time. They were never white.

One chance you may have is that Sam Brownlee (who is registered on here) and ued to work for Shirty, particularly on the Majesty frame conversions, has started to ride again. OTF may be able to ask him for you as he will probably be riding in his events and others in that area.

This is where we need someone like Roy Bacon to collate all the available info and write a decent book about twinshock trials bikes.When I asked Mick Andrews about writing a book he was not keen on doing it - but there must be loads of people like me who are hungry for proper data about conversions such as the Majesty Yams who want to know what was done.

The people are still around who have the answers - maybe not down to the last digit,but there is a story to be told.

This was an early bike at the bike show back in the day, my bike was reg'd Jan 78. :thumbup:

LastScan.jpg

Thanks for info so far, re writing books, the trouble is it's a limited readership so therefore not necessarily worth it as an earner. Publishers would want to cover costs up front, the author could be out of pocket..... and Mick Andrews probably realises this otherwise he would have cashed in years ago. :popcorn:

Got an email off craig mawlem, he says about 4,000 majestys were produced all told, but he didnt know how many yam frames were converted :icon_salut:

4000 + the modified yam ones ???? now that really surprises me from what was basically in the big scale of things a cottage industry. WOW must remember to ask Mick how much "commission" he made from that little lot :chairfall: Does surprise me if thats true cos they are always regarded as quite rare. :popcorn:

• Like 1

Hi, I asked the question to Sam, on Sunday.

He suggested that full bike sales was probably in the 100's per model.

But a lot more frame kits were sold than bikes.

This is not the definative answer,

I was about to ride a section when I got the reply!

Sounds more like what i would have guessed at :thumbup: will ask Mick myself and see what he comes up with then again Sam should know he helped build them. :popcorn:

Aye 4000 ??? :moon: can't see that!

Probably less than 1000 Majesty bikes out there including frame kits

Huge amounts of normal twinshock TY's sold around the world though with numbers per year that make the 4000 total above look small

Other than Shirty, Sam should know... if anybody does

Aye 4000 ??? :moon: can't see that!

Probably less than 1000 Majesty bikes out there including frame kits

Huge amounts of normal twinshock TY's sold around the world though with numbers per year that make the 4000 total above look small

Other than Shirty, Sam should know... if anybody does

<Hijack on> Rosey, are you Paul Rose?