Which bike to buy for a return to trials..!?

andrewc

Hi Guys,

Ive got a dilemma regarding what bike to buy. I stopped riding maybe 10 years ago but up until then had ridden since I was 13 at a reasonable level. Im now 36!

Last bike I rode was a Ty250 mono (early one!). Before that I was old school Ty 80 and 175 and a couple of fantics.

I have a budget of

Spend the extra sheckels and get the best late-model bike you can.

I've been around them all...and I'm the guy with all the tools and the lift in my garage...so I fixed all the local bikes.

For my money, Sherco is the most sorted-out bike.

Montesa has the tastiest bits, but they're expensive to replace.

Scorpa is just flat-out sexy.

So is Beta...

Both of those will keep you away from rebuilding dog bones.

Gas Gas seems to be the lightest and quickest, but light can equal fragile.

Heck...they're ALL good.

The best thing you can probably do is buy whatever brand has the best support for parts and service near you.

All have their good points However I can say the following.

Beta. REV-3 Ask about the Stator. All except the later models had weaknesses but most were replaced by John Lampkin. The Mikuni Carb leaked unless modified. The later Kehin Carbed are better. Get a bike with the later Rear guard arrangement if you can. It has a Hatch to get the Air filter out. Rear Box mount needs checking. There are two versions. The early "Fat" frame and the later "Slim" frame. It's the petrol tank area that looks either fat or slim and the changeover was 2007 looking at the photos

The first EVO's if you see one you can afford are pretty much as per the later REV-3 barring a few problems with Swing arms cracking at the Shock mount U. Again John replaced them and they were fixed for the second year.

Gas Gas. Check the gearbox. It's a work of art but if the lever is hit it can cause problems. The "Bart Simpson" gear on the Kick start goes on 2005-2008 models later ones seem better. The upper and lower Middle Box mounts on the exhaust usually have been re welded to a higher standard. Check to make sure this has been done. On the older Elliptical frame check the Fuel tank where the airbox is attached. If the airbox screws were too long they rubbed on the tank causing leaks. I'd go with not buying before the 2005 model.

Sherco. on the Old engine Main Bearings can be a problem as they are lubed by the Petrol mix and the Oil "hole" was pretty small. Make sure they are OK. The Air filter sits under the rear mudguard which needs a "LOT" of sealing to keep it watertight. The Stator cover also seems to get water under the seals on the mid "noughties" models. Some of the Fuel taps also had a fault where the "straw" was too long in the tank causing the engine to starve and cut out even if reserve was selected. Again this should have been corrected.

The New Sherco. Is probably too expensive. However for information The 2010 version still has the "old" engine so the above applies. Getting Petrol to the carb consistently seems to be a problem as well. If you look at the 2010 and 2011 models the Carb "sits" flat or pointing downwards towards the back. The 2012 has it tilting down towards the cylinder. Some Bikes are more affected than others.

Yamaha Scorpa. Seems to have had no major niggles beyond the usual Trials bike weaknesses but not many were really pushed hard. Engine is bullet proof but relatively big.

Scorpa new. Not heard of anything but there aren't many around.

Montesa 315R Good bike, those still around are pretty good The 4RT is probably out of your price range.

Xispa. Again not much known. Those I have seen recently, and I use that word loosely are a bit tatty.

To Finish Buy on Mechanical and General condition. A well used but well maintained bike at this sort of age will be better than one that has been sat around most of it's life. Has the owner kept up with wheel and suspension bearings. The Chain and Sprockets are replaced regularly. Gearbox oil still changed every month or so, Good Pre mix used etc. These may mean the bike does not look as good but rides better and will last. And Buy the one you LIKE riding. It's no good getting a Gasser ifyou prefered the Beta.

Edited by Telecat

Fantastic post Telecat :)

Many thanks for taking the time and effort to write such a detailed list of information for me to go at..!!

I am going to digest it and may post back some finer detail questions tomorrow!! thanks again

After doing some thinking I think I will up the budget a bit and am now looking for an older Montesa 4rt.

They seem like a good buy (hopefully). Are they made by Honda? Does anyone know if spares prices are reasonable?! I live in South Yorkshire, UK. Im pretty sure there should be some good parts sources not too far away?! Can anyone offer any recommendations as to spares suppliers? thanks

I've had (GasGas) 1-99 , 2-03 , 2-04 now an 03 & 07 no real problems with any , 2 buddies had Sherco's around 99-03's no problems with them either , maybe ALL the problems were fixed before we got them , as we only get the WELL used stuff mostly. I got my 07 in 09 , the newest bike I've owned for a while.

If your at all familiar with bikes/wenching, you can spot most stuff pretty easy.

You sound alot like me about 6 years ago

After doing some thinking I think I will up the budget a bit and am now looking for an older Montesa 4rt.

They seem like a good buy (hopefully). Are they made by Honda? Does anyone know if spares prices are reasonable?! I live in South Yorkshire, UK. Im pretty sure there should be some good parts sources not too far away?! Can anyone offer any recommendations as to spares suppliers? thanks

There's a place in Barnsley which has a good selection + parts or for a better deal buy used

You'll enjoy a 4RT, not the easiest or lightest to ride, but so rewarding when it comes together and you get the hang of it

Honda own Montesa, so the bike is basically a Honda and means it's well built and pretty reliable and they still look good after 4-5 years

Good Clubman bike

well after riding a beta yesterday I think I may revert to my original plan and keep hunting for a rev 3.

Just need to get a test ride on a gas gas to be sure Im making the right choice!

Theres loads of rev-3s around,i viewed a load of them and rode one i wasnt impressed with the overall quailty of them so bought a montesa 315r but thats my personal opinion!

Have you checked: ebay,piston heads,bike trader,bike exchange,free ads,adrenilin trip,gumtree,swopz? there ten a penny those betas,good luck.