Spark Plugs

nickerlias

Day before yesterday i rode my crossbike with a BP7ES plug. When revving it just died completely :ph34r:

Put in the recommended BP R 7ES and problem solved.

The digital ignition didn't like the non-R plug and just cutt out of electricity.

Something to do with the transitor picking up wrong signals.....

With the resistor plug this is solved.

So try revving yr trialsbike like i did my crossbike and maybe you will notice a difference :huh:

a BP5ES plug, and a BP5RES plug will be identical in heat range, electrode size etc.

the 'R' simply stands for resistor.

this resisitor cuts out interference to tv's, radio's etc.

manufacturers are obligated to recommend resistor type plugs, but in reality, it won't make a blind bit of difference to your bike.

Buying a BP5ES from a bike shop will prob cost about 3quid, but as it's used in Mini's, my local AutoComponents place do them for 1.60.

I would not say R plugs make no difference at all. Martin Belair (US Montesa importer) had a post in past that the Montessas for sure needed R plugs to make ignitions work right. I have no info on other brands. k

First post on this site, so go easy on me.

I'll share a personal experience that occurred recently to me. I had (sold it to get an 05) a 02 Pro, and it suddenly developed a severe off idle hesitation that it never had before. The hesitation would occur when attempting heavy throttle/clutch slipping areas, such as a rock face. I went down the whole list.....carb clean, jetting, changed the petcock, cleaned the tank, checked the reeds, checked compression, air filter, exhaust sealing, etc etc. I was baffled until I remembered to go back and recheck for anything I may have overlooked. That's when I remembered when cleaning up in the garage I had come across a few brand new non-resistor plugs that were identical to what was in the bike...except for the fact of being non resistor (BP5ES I believe). I didn't think it would have any effect, but I put a resistor plug back in the bike. It was actually the old one I had taken out to begin with. If it wasn't my own experience in dealing with the whole issue, I myself wouldn't believe it would have such an effect. The off idle hesitation was gone. I thought that perhaps the suspect non resistor plug may have been fouled, so I put in another brand new non resistor plug. Hesitation returns. Put back the old resistor plug, bike ran excellent.

If I tried to technically explain why it had such an adverse effect, I'd be making it up. I don't know, but I would have to believe it would have to be along the lines of ignition interference with the engine under load. So for what it's worth, in my own personal experience, I would say it does have an effect when using a non resistor plug. You may just not notice it based on how and where you ride.

Don't worry geomoney, your not mad....it's been documented to happen in many cases on many different machines. You can get away with non-resistor plugs in some applications, but not all. Better to stick with the manufacturer's recommendation. There's no gain to be had from non-resistor plugs.