FLYWHEEL COVER-SEALANT?

nicbrrghs

Someone out there must know a good way of sealing the flywheel cover up to keep the dreaded water out. My bike suffers even when its jetwashed and always seems to need cover taken off and dried out. The stator needs cleaning because it rusts over.

Its a rev3 270 2003

ANY IDEAS!!!!

Thanks in advance

Seal it up with an instant gasket type stuff but dont put too much on as it will get in around the flywheel. Let it harden properly and you wont need to take it off again. I have had a new Beta every year between 1996 and 2010 and done this with them all and never had a problem with them

No!

Just air it out. Make sure you do not tighten to tight and stop it mating properly.

On a clean and dry motor you can smear vaseline around the joint. As the engine get warm the vaseline melts and capillary action pulls it into the tiniest of crevices. (my wife is not called capillary!).

This trick also works on bulbs for rear lights etc. No moisture ever gets in where vaseline goes when warm.

basically you are never going to seal it up properly, its is nigh on impossible, just let the water in and let it back out, loosen off the cover after washing, pump the wd40 in as the man says and let it dry off. tighen up next time and away you go.....

sealing up is the best way to do it, speaking from experience of course.

I have had Betas for years and the cover is definitely not designed to be watertight so water will usually get in, but because of the fit of it, it also can get out!

Obviously, if your stator and flywheel is full of muck and rust you'll have to take the flywheel off and give it a good clean then lightly spray with WD40. Make sue that the taper is clean and dry before you assemble.

Providing that the cover is not damaged or distorted, refit the cover without any sealant.

After every wet event, practice or wash, remove the flywheel cover and leave the bike with a lean to the right to allow any water to run out. Wipe as much of the outside of the flywheel as you can, blow out with air and leave to dry as long as possible. Spray lightly with WD40.

...it is a long time ago now, but I seem to recall that the OSSA had an application of what looked like clear silicone - was that available when OSSA first appeared...??? at the rear end of the flywheel cover, presumably to stop water ingress from the spinning drive sprocket?

I also recall cutting a small vee in the bottom of the flywheel side cover to let the water out - it seemed impossible to stop it getting in... :wacko:

Use of any sealant with a silicon base is not a good practice. Silicon promotes the oxidation of aluminum. This also holds true when used on rims to eliminate leaks.

Some cheap silicon has water content, more expensive has acetone, I have used silicon on my B40 primary chain case for many years, and cant say I have noticed oxidization in the that area.

Drill a tiny little hole from the inside out on the cover at the bottom ( 2 or 3mm ). But you need to sit the bike flat or leave it leaning against a wall to the right. At the stand is on the left it wouldn't let any water out that is in there.

All the local lads do this to there bikes and also during the SSDT.

Edited by Wonder Boy