Sherco 250 2011 Clutch

betadad

Hi,

Sherco 250 2011, not been used for 6 months, not even started. Fired it up yesterday, but could not get the clutch to work, tried riding it around and going through the gears up and down, plus rocking back and forth!

Will I have to take the clutch plates out, or is there something else I could try?

Cheers

Betadad (now Shercodad)

Hi,

Sherco 250 2011, not been used for 6 months, not even started. Fired it up yesterday, but could not get the clutch to work, tried riding it around and going through the gears up and down, plus rocking back and forth!

Will I have to take the clutch plates out, or is there something else I could try?

Cheers

Betadad (now Shercodad)

warm bike up set off get into 3rd hold clutch in pull away with rear brake on keep doing this and it should brake free

I had this problem with my 2004 290. The clutch would get stuck overnight and did not want to release. The problem was that the plates were polished and would create a seal that would not allow the plates to come apart.

I took the clutch apart and washed the plates. I taped some fine emery cloth sandpaper to a sheet of glass and I rubbed the fiber plates across the sandpaper just enough to get rid of the glaze and shine. For the metal plates I just sanded them lightly - just enough to put a little bit of a scratchy pattern on them. I then washed the plates and assembled them with a little oil rubbed onto them while I was putting everything back together.

The clutch worked great after that treatment.

Looks like the old 'Cold-Sherco-Start-up' routine is still required:-

Bike from cold:-

petrol on/choke on/ clutch in /top gear selected/rock that baby back'n'forth till the clutch free's up.

Back into neutral and that girl should fire up with 1 or 2 kicks 'cos you've just primed the cylinder.

Clutch won't be perfect 'til you get the bike warm. :thumbup:

Eh, keep riding it, they will eventually release, I have seen them take what may seem like an eternity, maybe 5 min, one thing I have noticed is onse you get a bit if heat in the motor and give it some full revs even with the clutch out it may help. Carefull as when it does break loose suddenly you may go over the bars!

When I did the Beta clutch mod on my bike, I put a slight diagonal groove in eash contact pad on every disc using a jewlers v-file. Yes this is is tedious, but clutch has not stuck in over a year, no other dressing on the plates surfaces.

M2C :rolleyes:

Although the clutch sticking is common on a Sherco......it can get extreme and you do not have to live with it. When working properly the clutch should only stick for a little bit - My own procedure is to start the bike, push off with my foot while I put the bike in 1st gear and ride off, then I pull in the clutch and apply the rear brake and blip the throttle a couple of times and the clutch releases. When my bike was getting bad it took several minutes to get the clutch to release.....and this can be corrected. You need to work on the clutch plates to reduce the severity of the problem. They do wear and warp and get polished......and a bit of maintenance can make the problem much less severe.

Here is a link to a discussion on the Ryan Young Website:

http://www.rypusa.com/forum/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=71

On my 2004 290 I did not have any warped plates - but the plates were polished from use. What this does is cause a "suction", "stiction" or "vacuum" that makes it difficult for the plates to release the first time. The plates fit together so well that when the spring tension is released - the plates and oil hold the plates tightly together. The plates can be lightly sanded or lightly bead blasted to remove the shine and provide a surface that will prevent the seal from locking the plates together. Anyone that is having trouble with their clutch sticking should really spend an hour on the clutch plates - it will be time well spent and your clutch will work much better.

Mine does this after about 5-7 days of non use. I usually ride my bike every 2-3 days and it doesn't stick but leave it go a week and it will for about 20 seconds. I haven't started or ridden it since Nov when I broke my arm. When I get back on in another 2 months I bet it will stick like glue!

Cheers