Evo Dead,No Spark

twinkletoes

spluttered to a stop mid trial sunday. the bike, not me. checked fuel plug cap etc. scratched head, gave it a few more kicks and hey presto we're away. felt like the stator failing as on the rev3's! ran fine rest of the trial, thought nothing more of it.come to think of it, she took a good few more kicks than usual to start but i put it down to being very cold.

2010 250 evo i should say, not that it'll make much difference.

left it a day then washed her off today, started up no worries for a warm through and quickly spluttered and died, never to restart.

there is no spark with a selection of plugs fitted, including a new one.

there seems to be no visual problem with the cdi connection.

no kill switch short due to water loose connection etc

the coil earth is fine and the wire undamaged (they sometimes rub the downspar)

i am about to go through the replace cdi/stator route elimination.dont think its the stator as usually its a terminal fail with them.

please speak up if you've had similar electrical issues with your evo and how you've sorted it.

is the cdi dead?

lampkins always look after me but if its another stator after the rev3 scenario a few yrs back then i'll be pretty annoyed.

thanks

Lets hope they vent any annoyance towards the factory who insist on putting the crap in there in the first place. Warranty on EVo is 2 years on mainland europe and Lampkins are pretty reasonable.iI must still make financial sense to carry on. sorry to be a cynic on this. It seems to me this and poor rear mudguard desighn /material are two small things to put right at time of manufacture which would have a signifigant positive affect on sales and cost of sales. Somewhere in this Beta forum is an article/post by Dan williams re. poor electrical desighn with a lot of good info that may be helpfull. Keep us posted.

How often does this recurring topic have to pop up before it gets 'pinned' at the top of the forum to save time? ...

Its a crying shame, every time a Beta breaks down the next post is about fantastic service from either the dealer or the importer, lets pin that to the top as well. :thumbup:

Still, the factory should have sorted this out by now. :mellow:

try the stop button connection behind the headlamp remove loom connector part the two wires then fit after market kill button this cured same problem on our 250 evo

Yep try the kill switch a lot of the times it could be this , you still get a weak or intermittent spark . We thought it was the Stator at first.

spluttered to a stop mid trial sunday. the bike, not me. checked fuel plug cap etc. scratched head, gave it a few more kicks and hey presto we're away. felt like the stator failing as on the rev3's! ran fine rest of the trial, thought nothing more of it.come to think of it, she took a good few more kicks than usual to start but i put it down to being very cold.

2010 250 evo i should say, not that it'll make much difference.

left it a day then washed her off today, started up no worries for a warm through and quickly spluttered and died, never to restart.

there is no spark with a selection of plugs fitted, including a new one.

there seems to be no visual problem with the cdi connection.

no kill switch short due to water loose connection etc

the coil earth is fine and the wire undamaged (they sometimes rub the downspar)

i am about to go through the replace cdi/stator route elimination.dont think its the stator as usually its a terminal fail with them.

please speak up if you've had similar electrical issues with your evo and how you've sorted it.

is the cdi dead?

lampkins always look after me but if its another stator after the rev3 scenario a few yrs back then i'll be pretty annoyed.

thanks

2012 evo when it was 3 weeks old ,stopped on its own , tried plugs carb etc ,, then discoonected kill switch behind right side panel and it fired 1st kick, this after me pushing back to the van to get some tools, why do they always play up when your furthest away from the van? fitted aftermarket kill switch and is great now,,

cheers for the responses to so far....but

i am certain its not the kill switch as i always use a 'proper' yam style one and bin the junk they come with.

i know all about the rev3 stator issues, been through that before!

was really holding out faith that the stator issues had been well and truly put to bed on the evo, but we shall see as i have a new one, and cdi, on the way.

wouldnt mind but i always ease back the flywheel cover and let the water drain out and dry out.

was hoping folks would speak up and say 'yes i had to fit new one on my evo' or 'no the problem is generally not as prevalent as it was on the rev3'.

at least this time it didnt cost me a DNF at sundays trial.

i'll post back when its sorted!

one things certain, i could do without a 175

Well of course it was the stator in the end. Why would I think any different after my rev3 stator failed at 18mths, my mates went on his rev3 the next week then again 6 months later! I did have some faith that the age old problem had been ironed out for the EVO, but alas no, seems they continue to fit the junk at the factory and replace under warranty until a year then charge you plenty when out of warranty.

This bike is 20 months old, so no warranty or goodwill discount.