What Makes A Smooth Rider?

aidan97

what sort of things make a rider smooth as when it comes to riding a section I feel all over the place?

Learning to look up ahead, time on the bike, confidence, riding many types of terrain, attitude, and many many years of riding. :D

I agree with twinshock.. am currently riding daily in France there are a couple of youngsters who can do all the tricks but they just don't understand line riding....how can you be smooth if you don't know (or have a plan) regards where your'e going?. It seems to be a forgotten part of trials which is essential for no stop success...and a skill which is in itself interesting. The other thing I notice regards the average stop and re alighn brigade is that they have stiff legs ..not important when you have time to re alighn but fluid body is more important in line riding. Best suggestion is to practice different tecniques on same section.

I agree with twinshock.. am currently riding daily in France there are a couple of youngsters who can do all the tricks but they just don't understand line riding....how can you be smooth if you don't know (or have a plan) regards where your'e going?. It seems to be a forgotten part of trials which is essential for no stop success...and a skill which is in itself interesting. The other thing I notice regards the average stop and re alighn brigade is that they have stiff legs ..not important when you have time to re alighn but fluid body is more important in line riding. Best suggestion is to practice different tecniques on same section.

:agreed: smack on THATS the biggest problem with the stop allowed bregade :bouncy::banana2: and also why they are so against no stop because they never had to learn to use their eyes and brain to figure it out. Be smoooooooooooooooth you know it makes sense. :popcorn:

It depends what the definition of smooth is.

Look at 2 multi world champs:

Bou looks really smooth whilst in comparison Lampkin looked much more deliberate.. but the results were both there! Still in comparison with the rest of us they're both smooth!

Chewy is spot on with line riding.

When practising, I used to pick lines for the rear wheel to travel on an really try to feel where it was and smoothly move the front wheel (pivot turns etc.) to achieve this path for the back wheel

Whilst doing this remember:

1) Most important wheel is your back wheel (its the one that is connected to the engine!), so it needs the optimum path... Jerky movements break traction!

2) To help this smooth progress, use the most advanded suspension system available... Your legs! And body positioning.

You need to get the feel of what the bike is doing and where the wheel (back wheel) is... once you get this you can apply power at the right time etc.

Some of the old books like the Bernie Schreiber Observed Trials http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/36982-bernie-shrieber-trials-book/

are really worth looking at ... it doesn't matter that they are on twinshocks, the fundamentals are still there! as 2/4 says.. body lean etc.

Good luck... you'll get there, but it'll take a bit of perserverance

:thumbup:

Edited by Rosey

Pick a line and ride it ! Plan where your back wheel is going to be , most times you can put your front wherever you need to one way or another , as Rosey said your back wheel gets you thru the section ! And your legs are you best suspension period .! Learn to let the bike work underneath you , while your head and shoulders stay on line ...

And the SMOOTHEST rider I ever saw , Don Sweet of New England Trials Riders Fame ! Was my hero when I started out in the 70's ...!

Glenn

Something I've noticed with the modern riding is that you never see extreme body lean nowadays. A pleasure denied.

I think there are two reasons for lack of body lean, these are seat hight is too low so you dont pull your self back on top of the bike with your inner knee and the lightness of a modern bike to the riders body weight.