Maico Trial

ducman

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KTM used a Rotax motor, but couldn't get the rights as SWM had them at the time.

Interesting Ross, I recall Walter's motor looking very KTM like and will have a photo somewhere but Big John will be able to save me several hours research in the photo box, no doubt.

KTM used a Rotax motor, but couldn't get the rights as SWM had them at the time.

Mmmh .... no

They used their own engine parts, actually the biggest bottom and crank they could find

which would be from a 400 or 440 cc engine and combined this with the cylinder from the

250cc.

In the mid 70's KTM thaught as many factorys back then trials bike will sell easy

in the next couple of years, and first ratings of the importers and dealers gave

4-digit numbers they could probably sell. So they started the project. Just when

all the prototype job was over and Walter Luft and Krahnstöver had made their job

in developing the bike the predicted numbers where only three digits just under thousend.

KTM then abdonade any further production plans abruptly, (they just had annouced the

bike to pubilc) but withdraw the bike from the big German bikeshow IFMA.

Here the bike:

KTM%2520T325.jpg

To the Maico bike: (more important!):

Very nice bike and thank's for the pic's with Hans Cramer!

Edited by PSchrauber

Interesting Ross, I recall Walter's motor looking very KTM like and will have a photo somewhere but Big John will be able to save me several hours research in the photo box, no doubt.

Might be wrong, sure I read an article stating that, will have to try and dig it out.

Might be wrong, sure I read an article stating that, will have to try and dig it out.

As my post #19 is a ultra short story, You find a little longer one here:

Webermichel

(comes from KTM's homecountry :) as riding a big bore two stroke KTM by myself).

To the Maico, does the bike share some spec's/technic with the Bundeswehr Maicos back then?

Was wrong, its was Walter Luft and Rotax, but it was Puch who had to give up due to SWM.

Article in Classic Dirt Bike No 16.

Also article on KTM trials in CDM No 18.

• 2 weeks later...

Mmmh .... no

They used their own engine parts, actually the biggest bottom and crank they could find

which would be from a 400 or 440 cc engine and combined this with the cylinder from the

250cc.

In the mid 70's KTM thaught as many factorys back then trials bike will sell easy

in the next couple of years, and first ratings of the importers and dealers gave

4-digit numbers they could probably sell. So they started the project. Just when

all the prototype job was over and Walter Luft and Krahnst

Hi Reginald,looks piston ported, not disc valve?

This bike was restored bei Helmut Hacker in Germany, he had a few ... Puch's as I know,

He donated the bike to the Austrian trials museum. If you have any questions belonging

technique ... you will find him at German Trials Forum www.trialforum.net,

username: helmi-1.

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody know if this started out a a disc valve motor ?

post-6674-0-69231000-1330349515.jpg

Memory is a fickle thing,but I seem to remember that Walter Luft appeared at the SSDT on the original prototype which was then a Puch engined 170cc bike,not the Rotax version(.That came later and was hailed as the Yeti 300cc.) Walters bike had lots of nylon one-off bits on it to save weight,and looked "the biz".

I have a photo but I dont know how to attach it.any help appreciated,thanks.

Edited by jhamiltonsmythe