Fantic 200

totalshell

My 200 has started running very rich, so much so that the plug needs changing every 15 sections as the bike becomes unrideable. th eplug is dry with heavy black deposits. after Sundays trial i whipped the carb off and the airbox side was sodden in fuel and the rubber from airbox to carb was equally as wet with fuel and oil.

having stripped and cleaned the carb,, spotless as you ask, the only issues i can see are that the floats are twisted and much more than the Dellorto recomended 24 mm. so i ve 'manipulated' them level and they are now 24mm when closed.

i assumed though that as the distance was greater then 24mm then the needle would close sooner and if anything the tbowl would not have enough fuel in it, not too much?

plug is the recommended b6hs gapped at 0.5mm and timing is spot on

When mine started to play up, ran okay then not. Originally it was an ignition issue, after changing both coils it was better but not 100%. I spoke to Chris at Classic trial and tried one of the carbs he supplies, 2nd kick it ran like a watch and has done since. We forget these bikes are 30 yrs old now and need fettling.

When mine started to play up, ran okay then not. Originally it was an ignition issue, after changing both coils it was better but not 100%. I spoke to Chris at Classic trial and tried one of the carbs he supplies, 2nd kick it ran like a watch and has done since. We forget these bikes are 30 yrs old now and need fettling.

Gotta 2nd that , my dellorto wasn't bad , bike ran good , but Chris's carb transformed it , and more than one person that has ridden it comes away with a big smile... (and a few of them had and or rode for Fantic when they were new .!.!.)And unless it's freezing out (literally) mine always starts first or 2nd kick from cold and first when warm . Money very well spent .

Glenn :thumbup:

I fitted one of the OKO carbs to my 240 but would have to say that although it seemed 'better' at first, I was never really happy with it and have now gone back to a Dellorto carb. I purchased a brand new original spec Dellorto from Bill Pye and have been far happier with the bike ever since.

Perhaps this was a one off 'dodgy' OKO carb that I had, but I think I'll be sticking to the Dellorto from now on.

I fitted one of the OKO carbs to my 240 but would have to say that although it seemed 'better' at first, I was never really happy with it and have now gone back to a Dellorto carb. I purchased a brand new original spec Dellorto from Bill Pye and have been far happier with the bike ever since.

Perhaps this was a one off 'dodgy' OKO carb that I had, but I think I'll be sticking to the Dellorto from now on.

What was it that your OKO did wrong? I had to lower the float just a bit to stop intermittent flooding,but after that mine runs smoother than a reed valve engine :thumbup:

What was it that your OKO did wrong? I had to lower the float just a bit to stop intermittent flooding,but after that mine runs smoother than a reed valve engine :thumbup:

It felt pretty flat/unresponsive off the bottom end. For example when approaching a step at low speed then when going to give it some throttle to get up the step it seemed to hesitate right when I wanted the power. I should maybe have played about with the set-up a bit more but decided to go for a new Dellorto instead when I found how they could be bought brand new fairly cheaply, and have been happy with how it has improved the bike. It now feels far smoother and I would definitely recommend the Dellorto.

trying to reduce 'hobbies' expenditure in cash and time at the moment, so only once a month to the footy rather than every game but have upped the riding time ( its only a tenner at back cowm) and will still ride a trial every weekend.

the floats were way out i have also swapped over the choke lever incase that was letting fuel by. a quick ( 15 min tickle round and up and down the drive) revealed the intake side of the carb was dry and significantly less tickover smoke.. a couple of hours at the quarry sat am will be the proof though.

i'd like to get his right as i'd like to ride sammy miller rounds on it this year (sadly not the lakeland former round though this year which was one of my favourites..)

ho hum. plug is a 'little' less furred up and inlet side of carb is dryer though not dry but bikes performance is down the pan. ticks over nice low speed running nice but runs out of gas on 2nd gear climbs it used to ignore. disappointed.. still theres alwasy next weekend!

got to get back in the garage and attempt to get my James front wheel pointing the right way..

Dont think Chris does an OKO for the 200. When I enquired he was trying a 28mm and 30mm on a 200! bit big considering they came with a 25. Stick to a new Dellorto is my opinion, new slide and needle at the least.

chris does supply a oko for the 200, i think its 26mm i have just fitted one, bike runs great and ticks over fine but i must agree with mcerem, it fills flat when you first open throttle, i was going to try lifting needle up one, or smaller pilot jet, did you try either of these mcerem, save me trying it. or any other sugestions.

totalshell whats your exhaust system like, if it was running fine before this ,you could have some gunge blocking in your exhaust

chris does supply a oko for the 200, i think its 26mm i have just fitted one, bike runs great and ticks over fine but i must agree with mcerem, it fills flat when you first open throttle, i was going to try lifting needle up one, or smaller pilot jet, did you try either of these mcerem, save me trying it. or any other sugestions.

totalshell whats your exhaust system like, if it was running fine before this ,you could have some gunge blocking in your exhaust

Hi, I didn't try having a fiddle about with carb settings etc, when I found out how reasonably priced a new Dellorto could be had for I just went for one of those and have been happy with it ever since. I maybe should have given the OKO more of a chance but as the OKO is said to come set-up to use straight out of the box I put the problems down to wear due to cheap Chinese quality (maybe being a bit unfair but that was my first thought).

Cheers

Ross

Edited by mcerem