Bolt Size

kinell

Can anybody explain how bolts are measured?

I want to get rid of the 5 phillips bolts on the rear mudguard and the 3 phillips head bolts that hold the middle box and rear silencer on (05 Beta). I want to order them online and don't want to end up with the wrong ones being delivered.

Obviously, bolts/screws come with different head types: - hex, allen, phillips, slot etc.

Length of bolt isn't a problem as I can measure the original ones.

I'm struggling to find out the bolt diameter and thread type

Any suggestions?

Cheers

I have a little gizmo..bout the size of a penknife that meassures the pitch of the thread. (you might be able to buy one of these at the hardware shop??)

Diamater, just meassure with your vernier (sp?) callipers.......(same with length)

Its a good idea..I would rather have alan key bolts in those places than the philips screw ones..and will follow this thread to see how you get on.

Sorry my Beta is not with me at the mo. so I cant go and meassure for you.

HOPEFULLY someone else will.

Good luck.

STU

Threads on most new bikes are metric course. If you measure the diameter of the threaded bit it will tell you the size of the bolt. I think the bolts to the mudguards are m5, i used stainless button heads no sharp edges to catch hope this helps.

mercury

Thanks for the offer gents :rolleyes:

There's a K-supplies shop only 5 minutes away in Burnley so I'll nip there tomorrow morning.

For future reference, the rear mudguard needs 'Allen Key Button Cap Bolts: -

1 X M6x12mm (front top)

2 X M5x16mm (front sides)

2 X M5x12mm (rear sides)

2 X M5x16mm (filter frame and lid)

Rear silencer needs 'Allen Key Button Cap Bolt: -

1 X M6x16mm (plus washer(s) and Nyloc nut)

Middle box needs 'Allen Key Button Cap Bolt': -

1 X M6x12mm

1 X M5x10mm (for angle bracket to frame)

All the bolts above should be 'course' thread...

I managed to nip out and get the bolts yesterday, they all fitted perfectly with just one small problem: -

The M5 and M6 bolts use different sized allen keys, which buggered up my plan to try and standardise as many fixings as possible

BTW, I bought the plain jane stainless steel bolts and not the fancy red and blue ones - coz I'm not a tart :rolleyes:

Don't forget the carb top ones which can be swapped too and there is an allen bolt swap for the airbox clip which matches all the others (4mm?) rather than smaller, guess thats what your after dabber? Don't forget to keyhole the rad cover thats a help on Shercos too I've found.