Clubman On A 125

colin44

Been to see a few bike dealers recently as thinking of change ,currently riding 280 cc gas gas 2006 ,Love the bike to bits ,thing is i'm heading towards 50 rapidly and the weight issue of the bike and power ,it was suggested a 125 might be a good idea ,as they are cracking little bikes ,thought it was just a sales ploy ,but seen a few more dealers and they have suggested the same ,just wondered if any people on here have any info on bikes or experiences ,,ps not bad for my age only 13 st cheers colin

a few years ago a local rider to us was practicing on a 125 sherco

and when we got talking he had bought it to do the scot trial, not

sure how he did but i know he thought the 125 would be less

tiring.

jsp

Horses for courses ..if you not wanting to jump up big steps (which the youngster do on them with super tecnique) they're fine for most of us ..little more prone to stalling.. minimal flywheel weight,....feel really light to ride. I.m 13 stone and can do wheelies/tricks on my missus's 125 better than I can on my 200.... rear tyre lasts longer... road tax & insurance cheaper too. your mates might take the p*ss untill you beat them on it.

drop down to a 250 first, a 125 requires greater rider input.

Note this down....I agree with the Dabster :thumbup: Lots of clutch slippin' and knees needed, something that the young 'uns revel in but us adults can't be ar5ed with.

Ultimately though, you need to try before you buy.

Or go for the ideal compromise - a 200. The Beta 200 seems to me to be effectively an easy to ride 250 (having owned one for six years) but still has a lighter, but not too light, flywheel to give that more manouverable feeling.

Or go for a 200 - more low down torque that a 125 - softer power than the 280 and less power in the rev range than a 250 but less of a 125 as far as needing to dial it all on to ride what you may have been doing on the 280. I have just gone up to a 200 from a 125 - having got back into trials on a Fantic 245, after 19 years away and now moved up from Clubclass to C grade. The 125 feels very nimble and responsive (used a fast action throttle) but the 200 seems to pull me out of problems with less need to dial it all it all on. The 125 really helps learn the best way to get the most out of the bike and to use technique.