Is A 300 A Bad Move For A Youngster?

cursed

Hi all, I rode trials for a number of years as a kid, ending on the Intermediate route on my Gas Gas 125 (06 I think), and loved the bike, it did everything well and was an extremely well balanced machine, however you really needed to rev the a*** off it to get it over some stuff. My dad owned a 200 of the same year, and his was a little more powerful, however mine was more livelier and snappier, and I preferred it like that, and would like that again.

Im now looking to get back into trials (after 3 years), and looking for a bike. Ive seen a fair few GG 300's that look really good for the money, however I'm extremely reluctant to get myself a 300, as I dont want to end up on my head too often :chairfall: ! Im only 20 now and weigh only around 10 1/2 stone (about 5'7"), so I dont think i need this power, especially as I'm going to be reverting back to the novice route for a bit to get back into it. I think a 200 would be perfectly suitable, however they seem to fetch way above my budget. Ive been put off the 280 by reviews saying its not as smooth as the 300, and a bit livelier? I have a road sports bike, so am used to power, however its a different type of power. I do quite like a lively, snappy response, however is the 300 mad? My clutch control was good, and ive continued to ride cycle trials, so my balance is good, so surely it is all in the wrist, can all that power be tamed with clutch control and patience?

Also is weight an issue? Looking at specifications online, there is not a lot in it between 125/200/250/300 to be honest, with both the scorpa and montesa's being a fair bit heavier than even the 300, however being fairly small, is it going to become tiresome lifting a 300 over a 200 for example?

My question really is - am I going to be able to tame the power of a 300 or is it truely an Expert's bike?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi, and welcome back to Mamma!

I think the short answer is that whilst you will no doubt get used to a big engine, a smaller one will do all you are likely to need and tire you out less.

However, it does depend on what suits you. I ride the middle route and have no huge ambition. Down our way, I am called (amongst other things) a Novice. I had a 250 Rev 3 and now ride a 290 Evo. Why? Because condition and provenance were more important to me. I knew this bike, and had a chance to ride it. Like you, I have a good right wrist (other bits of me lag behind a bit!) and my style is generally very gentle. As such, I like the 'plonk' of the bigger engine and the fact that I can let it drop to the point of stall, at which point it really digs in and grips without ever coming close to stalling.

BUT, had I found a good 250, I would have bought that and been happy!

I have a 280 Gas Gas in my possession, and hate it. It's snappy, aggressive and generally just hard work. Bear in mind my style and how I adjust to my Evo, it does indicate that you need to try the bikes. My mate's 2005 250 pro is very nice to ride, but gasser's just seem to be less 'calm' than Betas.

Have I contradicted myself enough to totally confuse you yet!?

Short answer, I think I'd aim for a 250, but get a ride if you can and see how they 'fit'.

Good luck

Graham

hi

i was in the same situation, in 2010 i was riding a sherco 320 and went for a 250 Gas Gas

its the right bike for me i couldn't control the power of the big sherco and tried a 300 raga and it was clearly not a bike for me

a mate who has ridden Gas Gas 300's for years had a go on it and ended up ordering a 250 (he is an expert rider but the 300 was to fierce)

have a go on the 250 and 300 and see for your self

kind regards bob

Haha cheers, not too confused yet!

I am definitely an aggressive road rider, and was an aggressive trials rider when I used to ride, and I definitely want another gasser, as I like the snappy aggressive response they have, however I'm just unsure whether a 300 will kill me! I know you can obviously calm them down with slow action throttles etc, however I would rather not, I think it would be better to just buy the correct bike in the first place. If I can find a 250 for a decent price ill have it, however I just havent seen a 200 or 250 in my price range, and being a student I think I would rather learn to live with a 300 than spend another £500 on a 200/250, which is what it seems to be at the moment.

Just to add as a sidenote - I am generally a slow controlled, but agressive, rider - if that makes any sense?? I dont like to just trample over everything and hope, I prefer to get myself into the right position, and then tackle the obstacle at full throttle, then slow it down for the next part etc. I know most trials are now going to non-stop, however I will still be slow.

Didnt want to double post so just editted:

Just spotted this, which is a fair bit out of my budget but looks gorgeous :o! Bit concerned however because I thought all the Raga reps have been 280 or 300 up until 2010?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320891936187?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1271wt_1163

Edited by Cursed

If your an aggressive rider get the 250....the 300 should be smooth in the bottom with a big top end....that you will never use, iv had both Ann's suggest getting the 250 and building the skill level. Then if it's under powered for you...which will be unusual...then upgrade or fit some parts to increase power...trick carbs etc. Ross Danby rode a 250 when he upgraded to an adult at British champ level and gradually built up to a 300....and he's better then most of us will ever dream off

Hey Buddy.

As your from Bristol, the most obvious question to me is what are you going to ride? Are you going to focus on Wessex Centre and Club championship trials or are you going to ride the Wessex Centre Timed Trials?

All the advise above is spot on for a standard trail, a 250 is a great way to go. From the way you have written your post I am assuming that you are going for the normal trials make it the obvious choice.

However if you intend to focus more on the Timed Trials around Bristol you will find it slightly to under powered for the tracks that BSSA, North Somerset and Wells design. It will be fine for the sections but the going between them may cause you some problems. The vast majority of people compete on 290 shercos or 300 gas gas because they have the extra grunt for the tight courses and makes the going easier on the rider and the bike. But if you have no intention of competing in this way it is not really worth debating.

Its a shame that its the wrong time of year otherwise you could go to the BVM test day and try out a 300 and a 250 and see which you prefer.

Hope this helps

Hey Buddy.

As your from Bristol, the most obvious question to me is what are you going to ride? Are you going to focus on Wessex Centre and Club championship trials or are you going to ride the Wessex Centre Timed Trials?

All the advise above is spot on for a standard trail, a 250 is a great way to go. From the way you have written your post I am assuming that you are going for the normal trials make it the obvious choice.

However if you intend to focus more on the Timed Trials around Bristol you will find it slightly to under powered for the tracks that BSSA, North Somerset and Wells design. It will be fine for the sections but the going between them may cause you some problems. The vast majority of people compete on 290 shercos or 300 gas gas because they have the extra grunt for the tight courses and makes the going easier on the rider and the bike. But if you have no intention of competing in this way it is not really worth debating.

Its a shame that its the wrong time of year otherwise you could go to the BVM test day and try out a 300 and a 250 and see which you prefer.

Hope this helps

Not really too interested in competing at a high level, so I guess the timed trials are out of the question, I just want to have fun really.

Not really too interested in competing at a high level, so I guess the timed trials are out of the question, I just want to have fun really.

Fair enough. The 250 seems the best way to go if I was you.

Do confuse time trials with being very hard version. The sections for example are shorter and not as tight. The clubs have Novice, B and A classes so you only compete against those of a similar ability. What ever bike you get you can still compete in these classes and most importantly have fun :hyper:

Drop me a PM and I will be happy to show you how to ride a time trial.

Edited by scott_king

If its going to save you a lot of money buy the 300 and stick some extra cylinder base gaskets in to soften it up a bit, then its easy to get more power again if ever yuu want it. If its the type with changeable ignition run the soft setting, if not retard the stator plate a bit.

Cheers

Edited by Dadof2

In my opinion i would say that a 300 would be a better bike than a 250. I had a 250 for 4 years and moved onto the 300 bike and wouldn't go back. The 250 is snappier all the time but you have to work it harder. The 300 can be snappy and very quick from pretty much stood still but can also be very smooth riding off the bottom with endless amounts of torque. The bikes only go as quick as you turn the throttle so i dont think the 300 will run away from you and you'll be suprised at how they ride.

Edited by coxy_gg

I had a 300 and I'm now on a 250. I've had to put a flywheel weight on the 250 as its snappy unlike the 300 full of soft bottom end grunt.

I would consider a 300 as you can tame them and again having ridden one again found it smoother than my 250. I have often found smaller engines snappy unlike larger engines, Sherco 290 was the only bike with to much power.

I had a 300 and I'm now on a 250. I've had to put a flywheel weight on the 250 as its snappy unlike the 300 full of soft bottom end grunt.

I would consider a 300 as you can tame them and again having ridden one again found it smoother than my 250. I have often found smaller engines snappy unlike larger engines, Sherco 290 was the only bike with to much power.

Agree Smalley; my 290 Evo is a pussycat.

Dadof2 and Cope make good points. As you stated, budget is an issue. That's partly why I ended up with a 290; you can only go for what's available to you. The 125-225 upgrades offer another 'feel', and the one I rode had the nicest delivery of any gasser I've ridden. As Dadof2 states; whilst it's preferrable to buy the right bike in the first place; if you find a tidy 300 in your price range, it's not the end of the world to tame it a little.

What would be wise is to drop Scott-King a pm (I hope that's OK scott?) and go along to a trial. We're a friendly lot and if you approach most people right they'll let you have a potter on their bike. That really will be the best way to find what you like.

Graham