Bar Width?

zoomered

Hi, I have come from a Downhill and Various other Mountain bike background. I am of small build and always ran a small bar width. The only downside I heard of on push bikes is less stable at high speeds.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't cut my bar width down? Is this common on motorbikes?

Thanks, Jim

Some actions (usually within a turn) in mototrials can really load up the steering. Straight ahead is usually not an issue. The ideal width is usually the widest that still allows the rider to use full steering angle in all positions.

Some actions (usually within a turn) in mototrials can really load up the steering. Straight ahead is usually not an issue. The ideal width is usually the widest that still allows the rider to use full steering angle in all positions.

:agreed: Plus if you take more than an inch off each end you will probably struggle to mount the levers properly. It's surprising how much more upper body input is required with even an inch off each each end.

I assume you are new to the sport and havent ridden much yet ?

Just bought a 2011 Sherco that has bars that are 1/4" shorter per side,1/2" total. I can very much tell the difference,sucks to go right out and buy $90 handlebars but I'm gonna do it. I feel the wider bars help me get into the right positions when turning without concentrating about it as much,leaving my brain free to pay attention to other aspects of turning. I came from a "Woodser" background where we used to cut the center out of bars and sleeve them to get them down to 28",now I always look for the widest bars when I order new ones.

Also roll your bars forward to the same angle you see on the top riders bikes,feels odd at first but it also really helps.

I was told you kinda want to find comfort in the width, however I have also found that best not to trim more than 1/2 inch off each end and only if you are getting your wrists in an odd position. My stock sherco bars measure 31 and 3/4 accross yhe inside and I like them. I think some like the renthals are a bit wider.

You do need good leverage on them, so adjust to the bike first.

Position fore and aft is something of a tradeoff it seems. Basically verticle (or forward from there) when on the bike is a good start. I run mine slightly forward. As in Dougs case, he is on Jims old bike which is set full forward as I would ever want to go as I recall. A bit much for me being a bit shorter as well, yet each to his own. Just dont bring them back past center, as it does limit things on the uphills and moving the rear wheel more than the added stability at speeds.

Now Doug is gonna want to know how I know all this! :blush:

Zoomered

Yer heids gonny be nipping we awe yon patter aboot bars.

Bar width, height, angle all fall into the "personal" settings category when riding a trials bike or in fact any kind of dirt bike.

One can not state this setting is better than the other. I can however share with you some things that are physics and my own personnel experience with bars. After thirty years of riding trials I have messed with bars up, down, wide, narrow, angled forward angled backwards etc.

For comparison I am 5.5" with short arms

Here are some facts regardless of what bike you ride:

• The wider you spread your hands apart (due to the width of the bars) the closer it will draw you to the front of the bike. This may or may not be a good thing as it will take weight of the rear end and place more on the front end.
  • Too narrow and it will push you back on the pegs
  • There is a sweet spot in how wide the bars are, too narrow and one looses torque due to the length of the bar one is pushing, too wide and your arms are out of their range of strength.
  • Bars too low will make you lean forward on them placing undue stress on your wrists.
  • Bars angled to far forward also draws you closer to the front of the bike.
  • Extreme forward angled bars are okay for the top pros as they are riding some pretty extreme obstacles but this setting messes up the average club rider.

Bars width, height, angle are all open to what makes you comfortable. Set the basics and adjust from there.

What are the basics? Place bike on flat ground and adjust thebars to be 90 degrees and then ride and adjust from there in small increments.

Adjust the height thru shims until you are not hunched over.

I always cut half a inch of my bars on either end as I find it lets me stand relaxed and natural on the pegs without drawing me forward. I ride a 2012 Beta 4T 300cc and have no problem adjusting the levers to the shorter bars.

Your milage may vary but do not be scared of shortening the bars I would not however cut more than half an inch of the width ( I know as I have cut as much as one inch of either side and it was to narrow). Guys have rode my bike and said the bars are too narrow but they are six feet tall or long armed guys, guys who are my height or so say they are just right.

Be brave and experiment. :icon_salut:

Frae a wee Glesga man

Edited by BillyT

I was told you kinda want to find comfort in the width, however I have also found that best not to trim more than 1/2 inch off each end and only if you are getting your wrists in an odd position. My stock sherco bars measure 31 and 3/4 accross yhe inside and I like them. I think some like the renthals are a bit wider.

You do need good leverage on them, so adjust to the bike first.

Position fore and aft is something of a tradeoff it seems. Basically verticle (or forward from there) when on the bike is a good start. I run mine slightly forward. As in Dougs case, he is on Jims old bike which is set full forward as I would ever want to go as I recall. A bit much for me being a bit shorter as well, yet each to his own. Just dont bring them back past center, as it does limit things on the uphills and moving the rear wheel more than the added stability at speeds.

Now Doug is gonna want to know how I know all this! :blush:

'Cause Jimmy's bike is like my ex-wife....everyones had a turn?

Have to agree with BillyT on this one. I ride with very narrow bars ( I cut 15mm off each end ) it's just what I

prefer, I've tried riding with standard width bars but always end up chopping the ends off. Play around with settings

and see what feels best for you. What suits one person may not suit another coz we're all different shapes and sizes.

Thanks for all the reply's.. Some good info there. Looks like ill go with a half inch of each side and then get used to that. Won't go anymore as now i think about it i can see why it would effect balance.

Cheers Jim

One thing that some people try is just moving their grips & levers in half inch or so from the ends just to see if they like it or not.

If you like it then cut of the bars at the end and adjust grips & levers accordingly.

It will look funky while you are experimenting having the bars stick out a half inch or so from the grips, but who cares as it is only a test for short period of time.

Basically cut the very end of the grip so that it is a hollow tube that way you can slide it up and down the bar for testing purposes.

Most people end up cutting the very end of the grip off anyway to instal bar end plugs,

CAVEAT: Make sure you grip glue the grips to stop them from sliding about.

Edited by BillyT