Gaerne Balance Oiled Brown Trial Boots - Break-In?

flintlock42003

Any special "treatments" for a new pair of these?

Someone suggested to get them soaking wet and then wear them around until they're dry.

But I'm reluctant to do that to a pair of $310 boots.

And any suggestions on maintenance, mink oil, neats foot, etc.?

David

I have had good luck with both the oven and the heat gun

Put them in the oven at a bit over 100 degrees, then pulle them out and do them up real tight and walk around and streach them

Also any tight spots use a heat gun and again put them on tight and streach them

Sometimes 2 pairs of socks works but put em on uncomfortably tight and do squats and stuff to loosen them up

Works great, will almost completely break them in with about a half hours work

• 2 weeks later...

Boots have to fit almost perfect when you buy them. Leather do's not strech or maybe a very little bit. Leather boots do get a bit more flexible as you wear them.

So all this soaking in water or heating them in an oven (!?) schould not be necessary .

Just wear them, clean them when they are dirty and treat them with leather grease or oil when they need it. thats all.

Just got a new pair Alpinestars and they are a tight fit and don't feel very flexible. To break them in, I wear them as much as possible in da house. After a couple of hours they already are more flexible and start to fit better.

I had the intention of wearing them to mow the lawn, so they would be broken-in sooner, but I'm affraid what the neighbors might think :-D

• 4 weeks later...

Buy Alpinestars and you don't need to break them in. They won't last that long though. As for your Gaerne things - don't wreck them by peeing, heating, crushing & greasing. If you do that all the tiny fibers in the stitching and leather etc are being stressed. A LOT.

Take the time to coat them with quality boot wax and walk about, ride a bit, walk a bit and ride a bit more. Keep waxing between seesions and you'll soon find their sorted without ageing them sooner than you need to.

You would'nt flog a brand new piston so why do it to boots! They need a warm up like the rest of us.

Edited by pindie