Trials Newbie, Advice Appreciated

craigh88

It is great to hear that the bike is working well for you. I hope you are able to get out and ride more frequently now.

I have never changed the headstock bearings. Are they very rough? It is not that hard to lube them. With the bike on a stand, take off the bars, remove the top triple clamp and slide the bottom down enough to get some lube Have fun, keep riding.

Bill

Thanks bill. No I've never changed a set. They arnt rough, the steering works well but there is play in the bearings that is noticeable, I assume this means they've had it. Lol. Going out again this weekend, let the learning begin. The more bike time I can get the better.

Problem with loose bearing feel is "history"... I replaced my own head bearings, when I put it back together you kind of guess at how tight. felt tight enough, but had to re adjust one time. you have to overtighten tripple clamp's top nut (do it without the forks in place is easier) a little, just like you do AUTOMOBILE wheel bearings, then loosen up very slightly, then try to feel how much "drag" there is turning lock to lock. Then replace forks into the tripple clamps. THis (99 of 100 times) will mean you have to re-losen the top nut, because the forks have to go perfectly straight through both clamps. Dont tighten the forks until you tighten that top nut, then tighten the forks, then all that other parts and lastly that jam bolt on that nut.

if it is NOT smooth and really free, or it has play you might have to repeat process.

if the bearings feel gritty, toss them! you'll need to bang out the top and bottom races while you put in new bearings. It really is not that hard to get them out, lightly tap the new races back in. Someone might have skipped this step if they replaced them before you?

These bearings are damn near without grease when the bikes are new, it is one of the places you grease when you unbox the bike from the shipping crate! that and the wheel bearings, dog bones, my buddy does the swingarm at that time too I believe. I have a needle that goes into a grease gun (like the zerk or nipple on a greasable assembly) that I use to grease wheel bearings in place.

I don't know what is up, but some engineer "slash" accountant must have found they could save $10 dollars per bike if they dont grease this stuff while assembling the part, LOL. I have bought bearings for many things lately, from other MFG's of course, they ship them almost dry too, so not all is a Gas Gas problem, just sayin... I guess every few oz adds up to $ in shipping let alone in costs of grease, with $4.00 gas...

I don't know what is up, but some engineer "slash" accountant must have found they could save $10 dollars per bike if they dont grease this stuff while assembling the part, LOL. I have bought bearings for many things lately, from other MFG's of course, they ship them almost dry too, so not all is a Gas Gas problem, just sayin... I guess every few oz adds up to $ in shipping let alone in costs of grease, with $4.00 gas...

Mitch,

A lot of the bearings are rated "high speed" and for that use do not require much grease (it would just pop off the shields) but at the speeds we use them you can just about pack them solid.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic thread. Also a newbie, just joined, and starting to learn to Trial ride (from Northern Ireland but now living in Catalunya). Got myself a pretty decent 2000 TXT249 Andorra. From the first day out after getting the little beauty running I was having fun, I was sweating a lot as it was all new to me but I was climbing through the forest opposite our house in areas that were even tricky to walk up. Happy days.

I also have a dragging clutch, quite annoying; but instead of getting the ATF I went for Jim´s recommendation of 5W30. Will get it in there today all being well, having already refreshed the DOT4 fluid and well bled. Might take out the clutch plates whilst I´m at it and give them a bit of a sand on the friction plates, as apparently this helps remove ´knurl´ and fixes drag.

If anyone out there has a workshop manual I´d be willing to pay good money. Having ridden road bikes since 17, and now nearly 37 I could do with the help that forums like this offers.

Ta all.

Edited by staldantes

Fantastic thread. Also a newbie, just joined, and starting to learn to Trial ride (from Northern Ireland but now living in Catalunya). Got myself a pretty decent 2000 TXT249 Andorra. From the first day out after getting the little beauty running I was having fun, I was sweating a lot as it was all new to me but I was climbing through the forest opposite our house in areas that were even tricky to walk up. Happy days.

I also have a dragging clutch, quite annoying; but instead of getting the ATF I went for Jim

hi craigh i go a place in saffshire but ive been thinking of going cowm for a while. there use to be a good place in wigan but not sure if its thee anymore have to go down and have alook. theres probely places closer but its findind them. ive looked at cowm on you tube looks good.

hi takes about 1 half hour. its a farm he charge £6 but he dose b+f or he has 2 bungalows am going for a week soon. if you stay there the trailing is free. its a nice place close to altontowers if your into your funfaires. am new to gas gas myself i have a classice bultaco 350 just retored it.

Oh right, that sounds decent mate. Might have to take a trip down there. Are there any clips on YouTube or on the net? I would definatly recommend at least trying cowm Bondy, theres loads to explore there, you can actually leave the van and only go back for fuel and you still won't see everything.

yes put trails holiday in you search engin. and look for hermitge farm its not a big place but dose for me. like i said ive had trails for a few years now use to have trails years ago. if i can help you in any way just ask i know most things but you wont go short of help on hear bunch of great guys. ive just had a barrol rebore and a new piston on my bult. my gas gas is a 210 model lovely bike i was reading your thread about how much 2 stroke oil to mix with the fuel i run mine on ipone strawberry semi syth at 75 - 1 works great for me. i dont abuse the bike tho depense on your riding or you can use fully syth. am gonner change my gear oil i think before i go away alltho it dosant need it think its 450mm on mine have to check. oh mines a txt pro250 pritty powerfull. wich part of liverpool are you?

Edited by bondy

All put back together, and a very similar drag still coming from the clutch :chairfall:. Better, but not by much.

Now, being a bit of a bodger (Scrapheap Challenge stylie :irish: ) I decided enough is enough. Rummaged through my old bits and discovered a clutch lever unit with its master from a GSX1100F. Long story short, put this on, bled the system through, and voilà. At the end of the levers travel I found no drag (and neutral).

Diagnosis: I either have sufficient warp on the plates (seemed flat to me even with a feeler gauge :blush:) , my plunger in the master is inefficient and not allowing for a complete push of the hydraulic fluid :stoned: , or the 5W30 was a bad choice in the end :wall: .

Apart from the master reservoir of the GSX1100F unit being tilted over for a racing/touring handlebar (looks quite wrong) it works a treat, you can feel the pressure of the springs in the lever. If this continues to work well after an excursion through the forest tomorrow I might look for an alternative clutch master unit (from an enduro/trial bike) that may grant a full compression of the clutch springs but with a near horizontal reservoir like the proper Gas Gas unit.

Yeh thanks Bondy. Loads of good help on here, as I said I'd still be chasing my tail now without the help. I don't live too far from Liverpool airport, that sort of part of Liverpool, obviously don't want to be too specific on a public forum lol. I also swear by ipone, been using it for a good while now and havnt got a bad word to say about the stuff.

I have been looking at the 250 pro's. Definatly the next bike I think, bit pointless me getting anything else until I master the basics on my trusty little 200 though, so I'm staying put for now. Haha.