Annoying Air Box

dragstar

Picked up a cheap 2001, 290 as a project. (what was i thinking ?) Stripped it down totally and ordered new parts as required. Postman Pat has applied for planning permission near my front door !

It's not too bad at all, dont think its had a hard life more an uncared for one.

Anyway, biggest problem that i have is the air box boss that connects to the carb rubber has broken away from the main air box body. Cant afford a new one and cant find a used one. Help !

Has anyone run one without the air box by using another system ?

Hi, after welding I'd think about reinforcing the welded joint in some way. Also think about doing the spot weld thing as mentioned and then taking it to a shop that does plastic welding, just an idea good luck.

Hi guys, thanks for all the help !

Fired up the soldering iron, with the air box in place, tacked the broken boss in a couple of places then waited for it to harden. Removed the air box carefully then proceeded to 'weld' all the way around. I 'pushed' the melting material from the outside of the air box and then repeated this by 'pushing material from the boss until the plastic met and melted in the centre. Took a couple of hours and it worked ! After cooling it left a very strong joint. The angle is not perfect but it works just fine, everything fits and tightens up well. Another forum victory thanks to you all. Cheers, D.

• Like 1