New Rev 3 Chain Rubbing

jmann1456

I just bought a nice Renthal R-1 chain (520) for my 2007 Rev 3 and now the chain rubs on the rear brake pedal. I've tried to adjust the brake with no luck and have moved the masterlink to the inside. The old chain didn't rub to the best of my knowledge. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

i'm sorry but the renthal chain no good for a rev 3 the pins are to long either you accept that its going to wear your brake pedal thin,or you buy the original regina chain from lampkins on witch the pins are alot shorter but a good quality chain

Edited by inchhigh

Even as all the chains are 520 pitch,there is a lot of difference in width, even in the Regina range .make sure it's a Trial specific one.

I can't fault the Regina that comes as standard on the beta.

My original chain would periodically touch the brake pedal so I assumed the pedal had been bent in slightly. I just installed an RK O-ring chain (GB520MXU) and could feel some more serious rubbing. I reversed the master link and used some channel lock pliers to bend the end of the pedal out slightly. There is now zero rubbing. But....channel lock pliers seem like one of the tools that would have a different name in the UK.

Or water pump pliers? Mole grips?

Be careful trying the bend alloy. It can snap without warning.

One thing to check is the bolt/bush?mounting hole where the pedal attaches. This can wear and add to your problem.

Just checked my 2003 Rev 3there is 7.4 mm between the rear brake rod and the chain. The frame is slightly different. On mine the brake rod sits in a little cut out in the frame inside just above the footrest hanger mounting.