When A Repair Fails....

tomch

photo-19.jpg

I had 4 dogturds together in a big split (too big a needle for the original dogturds). A gentle ride and they blew out followed by all the slime.

Do you think I can get a big patch welded to the inside or is it time for a new tyre?

You could always stick a tube in this is not ideal, but has worked............my suggestion is get your Kenyan Shillings out and get a new one bought.

Just curious what are the trials like in Kenya, do the observers carry guns to keep the Lions away? Bet you don't argue the score if they did :hyper:

Are there any dealers in Kenya or is it all mail order?

The worst that could happen is it goes flat on you. I'd find the biggest overlapping patch I could and stick it on the inside. If you were really wooried you could pop a tube in as well. If it goes then you may as well get a new tyre.

I repaired a large gash like that in my tractor tyre years ago with some polyurethane sealant and it's still perfect today. Couple some PU sealer and a big patch inside and you'll be fine. The sealer I used is actually called 'Tigerseal' but if you were to ask for Tigerseal in Kenya you might get something totally different?

GJ :wacko:

and to add to it all, I would round out each end of the gash since sharp cracks encourage propagation of a crack in just about any material but rounding out the ends of the crack will often stop a crack from spreading under futher stress.

A narrow soldering iron tip or a small round file should do it.

I always think of the time and effort put into creating a repair for something that is shot

Even while it's working Its always in the back of my mind that it's going to fail

In my opinion it's a matter of time till a patch fails, trials tires just flex too much, so you are buying a tire now or later

I repaired a tyre with a Plug Patch but the rubber on the inside of the tyre is so thin its hard to prepare the surface without exposing the canvas and it leaked.

You should get away with using an innertube and reinforce the tyre so the tube is not exposed through the gash.

but to repair a punctured tube you would have take the tyre off the bead and we all know what a pleasure that is.