How Do I Stop The Tyre Popping Off The Bead?

tazz229

Sounds like the IRC problem. They stay up without issue at high pressure but at normal riding pressure it deflates with use.

Anyway looking at that tyre tread its well worn so not a major loss if you fit a new one.

Worn! Oh god no its anything but worn. Its only been used a handful of time since its been fitted. The center squares still have the pattern on the face of them its that new.

It maybe the lighting i took the pictures tonight and all i had to go with at the time was my car headlights to illuminate things as ive no light in my garage at the min, the strip light blew and havent got round to replacing it...

If IRC have the same problem then Michelin seem to be the way forth.

Having said that at the weekend trial 2 of my friends running michelin had exactly the same problem they were flat by the end of it. They did do all the sections mind maybe that was coincidence.

Its just a damn headache :wall:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If i keep the tyre inflated way past what it should be there is never a problem with it going flat.

Come the 3rd lap sure enough my tyre was like a damn pancake BUT still affixed to the bead!. Now here's the thing, because Ive tried it!

If i go ride some trails and keep the tyre semi hard it stays up no problem all day, every time without fail.

As soon as i let the pressure down to what its 'supposed' to be i end up with a flat.

The only conclusion i can come too is on a section say riding across the face of a hill the tyre is folding under and letting the air out of the bead. I cant see any other explanation! Because if i keep it hard it stays inflated!

the other explaination would be the one i gave above, where are the bubbles in the water coming from?

Goodness me - 3 pages of discussion on how to keep a worn out MT43 on the rim, coming off the rim is doing you a favour, it needs to come off - permanantly.

Seriously you have two options.

Option 1 (strongly recommended). Buy a new tyre. The MT43 are not good at the best of times, however yours IS worn out, you don't judge a trials trye by tread depth or marks in the middle etc, the edges are rounded, good light or bad I can see that.

Option 2. If you must keep it then simply put a tube in.

I'm sure this has been done to death, but I seem to remember that the MT43 was tubed-type and the MT73 was tubeless. I think the MT73 was discontinued in the interests of all that is good; I believe the MT43 remained as some people like to use a new tyre to lean on when fitting their IRC or Michelins...

Long story short, I think it's a tubed type tyre and will not hold air at low pressure regardless. As many others have stated, for trials use, they are a poor choice. Budget tyres such as Vee Rubber are much better if you are squeezed for cash, but best of all, bite the bullet and go for IRC or Michelin!

Graham