Road Legal Trials Tyres

Hi

Booked my Sherpa in for MOT with a local comp shop (the owners son rides trIals).

He said that if it was fitted with a IRC (TR 011R) rear tyre then they are not marked for road use and the bike will fail the MOT.

Examined the tyre and, no 6 digit number or E marking.

So does that mean that nearly all the competitors in Classic trials riders that use the Highways are not legal:-

• NO MOT
  • THUS NO INSURANCE

Comments please!!!

Regards

Martin

I have come across a Vehicle Certification Agency fact sheet which seems to state that only powered two wheelers sold as a new design after 17 June 1999 are subject to European Type Approval requirements.

No doubt this is an area which would stand some further research on the 'net to establish the true position.

i would recommend you check up a bit more first

off the top of my head and i'm not 100% sure there are two different form of wordings often included on tyres, one set is for the states the other for Europe. some tyre have "not for highway use" but that is for north America only.

Wording form the MOT regs below.

IRC TR 011R has moulded on the sidewall "For Trials Competition only"

Interesting!!

Motocross or similar tyres, i.e. tyres where the space between tread blocks is substantially greater than the size of the blocks themselves; which do not have MST (multi service tyre) with an 'E' in a circle or an e in a rectangle moulded into or on to the tyre wall

c. tyres designated by their manufacture as unsuitable for road use e.g. racing tyres or those marked NHS or NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE on the sidewall.

Martin

I would think motocross tyres are substantialy different from trials tyres in their ratio of tread block size to inter-block space. Also I think the regulation you have quoted states that absence of an E-mark on motocross type tyres does not necessarily mean the tyre should fail an MOT.

Staniforths, the importers are checking.

But I have been told that unless the tyre is stamped on the sidewall with an E in a circle or DOT stamp then IRC tr 011R is not legal for road use in this country.

Ouch!!!!!

If true we are not covered by insurance on the road!!!!

Martin

Staniforths (Mark) have confirmed that the IRC TR 011R is not approved for use on the road.

They have queried this with the manufacturer as to why it is not approved and they (IRC) will not submit one for approval!

So there you have it, Pirelli, Dunlop or Michelin for road trials it is, if you want to be legal and insured.

Wonder what the ACU and AMCA's position is regards scrutineering or indeed do they have one?

Regards

Martin

It is the riders responsibility to ensure that the machine meets the law.

Once the ACU, Club or machine examiner starts being responsible for bikes being road legal, road trials will cease. In effect, every machine examiner would have to be an MOT inspector.

Agreed, prime responsibility is with the rider.

However what is the point of scrutineering, I believed that the process was to ensure that a quick visual check ensured that the bike complied with the rules of the event and was also deemed roadworthy.

I also thought that the club/scrutineer could prevent a rider starting an event if the bike did not comply. For example in the regs all tyres to be legal for use on the road.

Is that not the case?

But how far do we go?

I would really like to know an official position on this, but don't want to rock the boat too much.

Regards

Martin

on the irc website they list a "TR-011 tourist" tyre which is classed as street legal.

what baffles me is the similaritys of the michelin and irc means they are almost identical in their make up.

so why is the michelin legal and the irc not?

could be a serious question for irc and their importers as most road trial riders i know use irc nowadays.

Perhaps the ACU and AMCA should take the lead and keep the Police at bay.

Simply issue a list of approved tyres for road events which the event organisers could insert in the regs.

Initially few moans (like no stop) but at least we would all be covered by insurance on the road.

Is there really any difference between a Michelin (with a tube)or IRC that the average rider would notice.

Sammy Miller proposed not long ago that that a control tyre should used to keep costs down.

Food for thought, but at least there would be an incentive for the tyre manufactures to get their product approved.

After all it is in everyones best interest to be street legal!!!

Martin

no, as above, it is the riders responsibility to be road legal.

now some areas are murkier than others - eg everyone put on a huge (legal) number plate for the MOT, and then puts on a sensible/survivable one for the rest of the year - yes its too small, and you could get done, but its a risk everyone takes. tyres wise, there are (as said) a number of road legal tyres out there, you could run the risk with an IRC, as it's very unlikely to be checked by the boys in blue but it could happen. IRC aren't a major European tyre player, thus they and their uk importer don't seam interested in acquiring the necessary paperwork....