Btc 2013

jimmyl

Please note that in 2013 there will be 2 British Solo Trials Championships:

British Solo Trials Championship – Stop Allowed Rules. ( TSR 22A)

Details are being finalised but it is envisaged that this would be a three round Championship on a restricted area closed course (each round one or two day duration).

Entries would be limited to a max of 25/30 riders of proven ability in possibly two classes.

British No-Stop Trials Championship. ( TSR 22B)

4 or 5 rounds, (each round 1 or two day duration) These events would follow a similar format to the 2012 BTC Championship however without the practice lap.

I dont think the ACU are far off the mark with this, I just think it needs a bit more thinking through.

I think the proposed "British Solo Trials Championship" should be a 5 round series, closed course, 30 riders of proven ability (i.e top 30 in 2012), in a similar vein as the success that is the North Berks Supertrial, maybe even make this a round of the championship. Have this on a Sunday and the Youth A+B championship or the Ladies championship on the Saturday. Both running TSR22A. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

The current S3 Parts Championship should remain and be called the "S3 Parts British No Stop Championship" running TSR22B. Keep the same rounds, simply a re-name.

Therefore we would have the "British Solo Trials Championship" for the best riders in the country to show off what they can do. Stop permitted, massive steps. We would also have the "S3 Parts British No Stop Championship", anyone can enter (provided they are road legal) and ride a proper no stop trial.

or do as the acu have suggested and retain s3 as a genuine clubman series. riders vote through participation and ultimately one of the new championships will fail in a couple of years. nobody can then argue that their wishes were not taken into account and we will be left with what the majority want to ride.

Before everyone starts going off on various adventures of what should and should not happen I think we need to take heed of some basic facts. Please also note that after initial posts about the 2012 BTC format, I posted very little as for me it was important to see what actually would happen rather than what people thought or predicted what would happen without any actual evidence and far too often any experience or even attendance at rounds.

Without spending a long time going over old ground a few points

There were certainly some plus points i.e. There were certainly more riders in the Championship class, and for me at least it was good to see some very able riders who had given up on the previous Championship back. It would be dishonest to try to claim that all these returning riders were all No-Stop fans, although of course some where. But it was evident that the severity of the sections suited them more than in past, when they clearly just ditched the Championship.

There was no real significant increase in the overall entries however. Some may argue that on the 2011 format and with increased travel costs and so on, if there had been no change, the entries would have been low in any case, and this may be borne out by falling entries in other events, but this is hypothetical and no-one actually knows, but the total entry numbers have not really significantly changed.

There is no doubt that many Observers, even if minded toward No-Stop did find making judgments at this level more intense, and not all enjoyed it. Please remember here these guys are volunteers, and without them it just ain’t going to happen in any shape of form.

To be fair, there was no real issue that was reported of abuse to Observers, although I fear one or two riders did get away with it, and with exception of a few in the last round I thank MOST riders for at least taking this on board.

There is also no doubt that riders often got frustrated when they thought they had not stopped, or that the Observer should have been more lenient, but again MOST handled it well.

For me it is important that this took place as it would have given entirely the wrong impression if Observers had been very lenient and made No-Stop look far more easy to Observe than it actually is, and equally it would give wrong impression if we doctored and made a particular Stop Allowed event far easier section wise than they normally are just to prove that point

We have what we have and everyone is going to have to accept that.

Spectators: I have read a fair bit of nonsense on this one, and again a lot is hypothetical. It is easy to get the impression that spectators were flocking to these events prior to 2012 – they were not if you take the whole series rather than just one or two. And before a truckload of people post and start on about PR , Better this and better that, it is another issue and falls into the category of giving advice and getting someone else to do something while the advisor usually does sod all

For sure, a lot of spectators were clear that the No-Stop year did not give them the thrill/excitement they wished to see, and may spoke to me that they found it rather boring

There were some , but I would certainly say less, who actually told me they enjoyed watching riders – and especially the top few , tackle sections in the No-Stop format as they appreciated the skill set more than they did seeing these riders tackle a huge step etc. Perhaps it was just that they could associate their own riding more with what they saw? I have to be honest however and report that most who spoke to me stated they had preferred watching in 2011 and prior.

Personally I felt the Expert course did encourage more Centre based riders to tackle the Expert course, but again I appreciate that the Expert B course should really have achieved this in past.

So – what happened next?

All riders who rode in 2012 received a simple questionnaire asking if they preferred Stop Allowed or No – Stop. We also included some who had ridden consistently in Champ class in 2011, but for some reason were unable to do so in 2012.

We deliberately made it a simple question as I particularly did not want it influenced by what I call the dreadful “IF” factor

i.e. : I prefer No-Stop as long as the Observers are lenient and give me the marks I think I deserve, or as long as they are all perfect Observers etc

OR: I prefer Stop – Allowed as long as the sections are not too severe for me with no big steps etc

I hate the IF factor. I often say “I would holiday in UK “IF” someone would guarantee me good weather” or “If my Auntie had balls she would be my Uncle”

Again: We have what we have.

The best comment ever was made on TC by someone (sorry cannot remember who)

“The best system is Stop Allowed” marking with “No-Stop” sections

I think this is spot on and what actually happens in many Centres, but for British Championship has not really ever been consistently achieved

OK – So we canvassed Riders – like so many on TC emphasised we should (as in fact we had in past)

I have to tell you that only about 50% bothered to reply which any way you dress it up is disappointing.

We also invited comments from Organisers and through them Observers and we also invited the view of the Importers.

We did not invite the views of everyone on TC , Web pages, Face book and so on as this is unrealistic and most have already expressed views in past.

Result: No shadow of a doubt of the riders who replied the vast majority preferred Stop Allowed – end of.

Other opinions: As you can guess, varied. Many thought 1 year was not enough to see true picture etc and that time would tell ( one of the reasons we have continued with it)

Many felt that eventually FIM may move to No-Stop

Quite a lot of opinion that the 1 for a Stop was best system we ever had (remember ACU stuck with this long after everyone else and were criticised for doing so)

I think there is no doubt whatsoever that the few very top riders hated No-Stop and felt this was not giving them the practice/challenge they deserve - we never ever denied this,.

Equally there is fair acceptance that it is very difficult to cater for the top three and those further down the line. We may achieve it with perhaps another 4 or 5 and that brings us back to realistic 6 to 8 riders in Championship class. This may or may not be acceptable

So: For 2013.

Please remember that in 2011 and before there was no huge enthusiasm and applause of the current Championship. I am still looking for the one person who thought it was great?

Let us also be fair and admit that there has been no huge enthusiasm and applause for 2012.

It is very easy to sate, as I am sure many will – It is obvious the No-Stop experiment has not worked – and they will give a whole host of reasons why we should return to old format. Fair enough – but as always 99.9999% want others to do so. In others words exclaim with great passion how it should all be, as long as they do not have to do it.

Equally, the advocates of No-Stop fall into same category. Exclaim with great passion how it should all be, as long as they do not have to do it.

In both cases we constantly hear about if so and so took it over or if someone else did this or that it would be fantastic

Simple message: No interest in either format has been expressed by anyone outside the hard working Clubs/centre regardless of format – end of.

All those who in many posts last year wanted to return to Stop Allowed unfortuanatly did not do as I asked then and actually volunteer to run a round.

As an aside , it is even worse in the British Enduro Championship with some right dreamers including some well known names having all sorts of theories of how it should be as long as they do not have to do it or find someone to do it

Only 2 Organisers have indicated they would run Stop allowed in 2013 and another 2 will run either format

However – Only 2 Organisers have indicated that they will run No-Stop in 2013 and another 2

(Same 2) will run either

In simple terms we have 2 organisers for No Stop, 2 for Stop allowed and 2 will do either.

As I have said before – talk is cheap.

So

For all reasons stated we will run a British Stop allowed Championship. In attempt to make it easier to spectator, promote etc it will be on small venue course. Sections will be able to cater for our best riders and those with proven ability. More details obviously to be worked out. Someone has already mentioned the N.Berks trial – this is the sort of idea, and they will certainly be invited to participate.

In addition there will be a No-Stop Championship – and this will more or less be the same format as 2012. Probably 4 rounds.

It is true this may echo the S3 Part concept BUT they will be off road and while the S3 is able to use lots of varied terrain obviously these will be limited to one venue, as they were in 2012.

Riders will have the choice. It is clear what they will get

Unlike 2012 no-one can claim anything has been “thrust upon them” If they do not like a particular trial – obviously they will not enter. The Organisers will have to accept this in either case.

Yes it is trying to cover both basis, yes it can allow for any changes outside our control

Very well put John Collins, I certainly appreciate (as I'm sure some others do), the difficulties you have faced and appreciate the hard work, you and others do for this sport.

It's disappointing that only 50% of the riders could be bothered to reply to your questionnaire. One could only assume, that the other 50%, weren't that bothered!

Here's to a successful 2013 British championship.

• 3 weeks later...

A question based on John Collins' interesting and balanced post: what do I need to do to get involved? I'm a big fan of stop-allowed and I'm happy to be involved with the organisation of the events in some capacity if I can do that in any way.

Money where my mouth is and all that!