What Was Your Biggest Trials Crash?

mickrayner

Just being nosey....

Mine was just after i started riding, I was at a trial with the Huddersfield Falcons on my Twin shock Bultaco.

Going round a tree at the top of a steep decent, sharp left turn downhill. Just as I went over a large tree root the front wheel went onto full lock and started to go end over end. I just lept upwards and grabbed a branch as the bike went down the banking flipping about 4 times. I was left dangling at the top and all the bike got was a broken clutch lever!

There was no way I was going down there with it and the people at the botton were left laughing at me hanging in the tree! :rolleyes:

mine was between sections actually, coming out of some woods in the yout c/d national in kent, what i didnt know was that the gras was damp and slippery like ice, as i ditched the bike i wrapped my knee around the bar an did ligaments in it, my dad made me finish the remaining two laps of the trial (i came 9th :rolleyes: ) and wated untill we got back up home (darlington) untill i was able to go to the hospital, by which time my knee looked like a melon.

Dropping off a bank onto a ledge still about six foot from the bottom of a ditch,trying to use a ten inch log as a stopper

the log and a foot of bank gave way ,i tried to lift the front end,

decided to bail,half surfed down on the side of the bike.

the bike stopped with the foot peg about six inches futher off the ground than my legs i slid down the bike and stopped dead

i tore my trousers and could see blood,i had to ask a really good mate to look,when he finished p***ing himself he said i had three or four really deep scrapes across my buttoks all stopping at my ring peice,

i could not sit down for a week. no i did not finish the trial

Well i was up practicing and theres these hills one after another , i went up the first one fine and then the second until i got to the top.............didnt realise that it was a sudden drop into a small gulley, the bike latched itself onto the bank and i went head over tit into this gulley rolling and rolling finally i came to a stop with my legs over my head (like you do when you push you do a backwards summasault) and thought oh thank god ive stopped. tried to get back up and started rolling for about 2 mins down the rest of the gulley to the bottom........................................reached the bottom and a load of small rocks came tumbling down and smacked my back....Ouch thats my worst yet anyway..

If i do anything drastic now i can still feel my back hurting a bit but not much ............to say that though it was about 5 weeks ago so........ :rolleyes:;)

I bailed off my bike while climbing a very steep slippery hill, I blacked out but somehow managed to break my wrist completely and fracture a part of my hand, they pinned it in two places and so had to cut my arm open. Here is a pic of the scar 4 months later...

Lloyd

post-2-1115759331.jpg

The girls will love that scar - make up a cool story to go with it :D

I've had way too many crashes in the last 3.5 years to remember them all but 2 from last weeks jaunt in the highlands are still fresh in my mind.

1) Riding UP a moor and I accidently dropped into a hidden drainage channel and went over the bars a tad quickly. I was out cold for about 5 minutes and woke up to some mad jock called Duncan Mitchell flashing two fingers at me and shouting "Count 'em you muppet" ;) I was a bit dizzy for the rest of the afternoon...

2) I met Andy at section 1 on Ben Nevis late Saturday afternoon, his instructions were crystal clear: - "Don't do anything stupid and you'll finish the week!" I then missed section 5 so tried to ride into the section from the left hand banking which was about 4-5 foot high. The bank gave way and I dropped vertically into the rockery front wheel first. Over the bars again, hands out to break my fall and crunch!!! Then the bike hit me, got tangled round my right leg and dragged me backwards down the beck. That little tumble made me sit on my a*** for about 10 minutes and think how lucky I was not to break both wrists :rolleyes:

In fact I had two big crashes in my whole trial life. Both of them happened during events and both of them happened at the same place ...

First one I was riding between sections in a small path in a wood when the track suddenly turned to the right and then I couldn't see anything so far. When suddenly a fu***ing quad came just in front of me quite at the same speed as mine and what should happen happened : we had a frontal crash but I stay on my bike all the way but my wrist didn't like the shock... I finished the trial at the nearest hospital and went back home with a plaster.

Two years later, same event, I was riding this time in a section for my third lap, quite self-confident as I started to know the section better ! Suddenly my footrest touched a treeroot which had appeared between second and third lap and my bike stopped suddenly so I went over my bar one meter below as my bike stayed at the same place. I remember I could see me falling but didn't have time enough to do anything and I properly "kissed" a boulder with my head. The observers went to help me to get on my feet but as they took a look at me one of them got ill and vomited in the nearest bush. In fact I had a broken-tooth, a broken nose and a deep wound just above one of my eyebrow which was bleeding a lot. I finally did not finish the trial and went once again to the same hospital! I had quite 40 stitches (3 rows of 12 or 13 each) to repair above my eyebrow, a dozen stiches into my mouth (lower lip) as my broken tooth has cut the inside of my mouth... etc Fortunately one of my friend of my club was at the event and brought me back home where my parents really worried and when I arrived they were even more scared as I looked more like Elephant Woman than to their daughter!!

So that were my biggests crashes. The following years my dad did not allow me to go to this event alone because too many things happened to me there of course.

This year it took place at the end of June and I wonder if I'd not go because it's a really beautiful event with great sections. Wait and see!

Way to many crashes in 10 or 11 years to name them all...but the worst one, and, touch wood, I hope it remains the worst..

Riding back from the practice spot (Heanor, Derbys) and theres a bit of a private path that runs right from the field to my house. The fencing either side of this path is about 4 foot high, and its all wooden posts with about 4 plans that go across it to make the fence.

The pannels that go across have this metal wiring, which is about impossible to snap with hands or electrical wire cutters...so its pretty strong stuff, and its nailed all over the fence to keep the fence together.

However, some **** decided to pull all the nails out so there is lots off this lose wire around, but still attached to the fence.

I came riding down the path, perhaps in about 4th/5th and collecting a fair bit of speed...the next minute, everything went into slow motion...and thats it..

I woke up on the floor...

Then I woke up at home, just as I walked though my back door.

As you can imagine, I did ride into that wire, it got me neck first...as well as my arms and hands...resulting in a huge cut on every bit where that wire touched, and the one on my neck looked like I tried to hang myself...Luckly, it didn't scar that much.

The funny thing was that I woke up, no one around, but my bike was leaned up on the fence next to me, and then I passed out again, and woke up as I walked though my back door.

I drove home unconscious...which was scary...

Comong of the road on Thursday just before the lunch stop at this years SSDT was scary. I'm glad no one knew.... Apart from stuHRC who looked down on me from above. Front wheel took a massive bash, I rode the rest of the day with it and had to but a new one, not cheap!

Hmmm,,,

Regained feeling below my waist about half way to the hospital in the ambulance.  It never felt so good to hurt so bad.  Cobblestone streets are tough to take when strapped on a backboard.

Supposed to be trials stories, not public school perversions Alan :rolleyes:

Lots of small silly ones. Worst was my first ever event. Rode the section, managed to clean it (twice!) then stopped after the gates (dunno why). Exit was on the side of the hill. I put my right leg down and found nothing but air! Tumbled down the hill, landed with my thigh on a log or something sticking out, then bike landed on top of that! Black thigh for several weeks, as well as scratched and bent fingers etc.

I was out training alone on my old Yamaha TY 250 and was driving on a 3 meter high step with a lot of roots.

Suddenly something went wrong ;) . I total lost my grib and started to fall down with my back first. I landed in a tree, hanging in my left knee :rolleyes: . A split second later the bike landed on top of the knee.

I manged to push the bike away and crowl slowly down the tree.

No more trial that day. By some miracel the knee was okay a few days later.