Engine Cover Seal

tadger

So, having just replaced the stator, I want to ensure a good seal on the plastic casing on my 290. I don't want any water getting in.

The casing doesn't fit that well and the new giant O ring I fitted managed to work loose and got fried by the stator.

Sure that I read on here somewhere that they don't seal well anyway, so my question is, what does everyone else do to get a watertight fit?

The one I have has the sprocket cover on it.

Any thoughts guys?

You can use silicone, but they seem to get dampness in them no matter what.

It'll get good and hot, you'll hit some water and cool it suddenly and the water sucks right in (high school physics).

I had the best luck with sealing it real well with silicone, putting a hole in the rubber block where the wiring exits (hot phillips screwdriver), putting a vent hose in the hole and running it up under the tank.

Some just drill a hole in the bottom of the cover so it drains.

Vent with pipe up to under tank is necessary to accomodate air pressure changes inside cover. Use a grade of silicone that DOES NOT give off acetic acid as it cures / stiffens. The acid fumes will cause damaging corrosion to stator and flywheel.

Edited by dadof2

I would say the new style covers are reinforced and much better(06 thru 10) available in silver or black.

Mine on the "07 never leaked, yet I would still ck things after a wash. They are not all perfect.

On the old ones, I allways drilled a 3mm hole in bottom to allow things to drain and vent. Never a problem.

Silecone may help you trap more water! I do not use it, just a dab of grease to hold the o-ring in place for installation.

My 02 200 also leaked used silicon sealer but found the mud got in behind the sprocket guard distorting the cover letting in water

Thats the reason I got the later type cover as soon as they became available, the mud packing in behind the sprocket cover is only 1 of the reasons for the distortion though

All good advice guys, thanks.... the O ring seal won't seat properly as the groove it should sit in is chewed. Would you guys recommend replacing the cover for the new one without the spocket guard and combining that with some of the ideas here?

Do the later ones fit an '05?

Yes they fit. Not sure where you are located, but a quick look at Splatshops site suggests about 25 quid things for a new cover and o-ring.

If you are in the US, I may be able to help you out as I have a new spare and have sold my bike of that vintage, so PM me for details. Prolly costs too much to send to UK.

Edited by copemech

Thanks Copemech. I am in Scotland in the Uk, so slightly out of your way! Our weather is the exact opposite to Texas. Tends to be on the damp side, more so this year than ever!! Splat shop it is. A new one will tidy the look of the bike up a bit as well. Thanks for your help.