A Different Approach

baldilocks

I agree about the easy routes, my son and i started last year, he couldn't ride the 'easy' route as it was way to hard for him, we very nearly gave up.

He was disillusioned, and I couldn't take the falls and tears any more!!

However we persevered and its all come good in the end, now he's had a few finishes, we're up and running :D , our club have been very supportive etc, however I do think that folk that have been riding / involved for a long time don't seem to realise how difficult it can be for people from outside the sport / hobby to get into it.

Nice 'easy' routes would solve a lot of the problems.

Sadly over this last year I have seen several kids that dad has pushed them to finish 'easy trials' as they assume they should be able to do them.And then i've never seen them again :mellow:

Also kickstart would market the sport in an exceptional way.Its why I wanted my son to try it (and me ;) ) and it was 30 years ago!!!

Sounds like you were having the same problems as us,but obviously you are not from Carmarthen West Wales because our club are not supportive.My son was making the big step from conducted to the adult easy route and like youre self was finding it difficult but was managing,however i found it difficult when a club expected you to do laps,for example you had 4 laps each 1 mile long thats 4 miles i have to push,pull & pick my boy up,when asking the club for help,for example go to first section and do it 4 times then move on to next,which makes life a lot easier for the parent we are told no so we ask again and still told no and then i wonder why there is a lack of youth riders in West Wales.

A few considerations spring to mind straightaway, I'm suppressing my realism (some people call it negativity) faculty here:

Are we hinting at being able to influence manufacturers' production/research/marketing strategies ( because I recall the mighty FIM, a few years back, stating that World trials had to go four stroke and the manufacturers, bar Honda have said 'Manjana')? Partially true, Beta make a 4t, sherco do in limited numbers but Gas Gas gave up. By the time the rest came along it was no longer an issue.

If so, are we relating bike weight (reduction) to unreliability, is it that simple? i.e should we strive for a minimum weight limit of 75 Kg, would that help? It may but i think the product often isnt tested sufficiently. Development, i'm assuming, is too skewed toward performance in the short term, if the bike had to last a season it would be tested properly before the season started.

Is reliability the main deciding factor in bike choice, especially when you consider other features i.e styling/ ride/ suspension quality/ latest technology/ motor characteristics etc ? what does it look like, how does it ride and cost for most will be important but that may be because quality on all bikes has room for improvement ?

What is the real relevance of World round Trials to bike sales, do manufacturers still believe in the old Ford mantra of 'What wins on Sunday sells on Monday'? I think very little relevance to sales as things stand as nobody who buys a bike can compete to that standard and everybody knows Bou is miles ahead whatever he rides. What wins on a sunday in your centre, which is likely to be a standard bike is probably more relevant

Sorry Glen but I've answered your questions with more questions (what were you expecting? there's another question :hyper: ) Hey i never said only I can ask questions but to get my revenge

Ham2 you have a bike as far as i know, you still have interest given the time you spend contributing to this site yet i havent seen you ride a bike since 2010. So in keeping with the thread what should a club do to get you to ride a trial ? I seem to recall even offers of transportation have failed to get you there in the past...

and only a couple of 'blue-sky thinking' suggestions; I dream of World Rounds using 75Kg bikes, unmodified from showroom spec Yes but i think we would need to ween them off the power they are used to and Toni will need to move on

and my personal fave.. a handicap system involving increased air pressure in the rear tyre (cheap as chips that one), you know; if big Tone was running away with the lead, add 10psi to his Mich with a quick tolerance check on finishing a section/ lap? Certainly cheap to implement !

Oh, and I thought Hamilton had nowhere to go when he got taken out yesterday but I still think he's a boy in a mans world.

Wayne

Hey i never said only I can ask questions but to get my revenge

Ham2 you have a bike as far as i know, you still have interest given the time you spend contributing to this site yet i havent seen you ride a bike since 2010. So in keeping with the thread what should a club do to get you to ride a trial ? I seem to recall even offers of transportation have failed to get you there in the past...

A 'passing interest' maybe more accurate; my bike has been dormant this year and it won't see a trial until I get back in the groove practicing... and here comes the whinge list requirements:

New knees, I think I'm putting off knee debridement, I've even rapped in the martial arts.

New career ££, this jobs doin me nappa in, I told you it was a family firm, like the mafia, I could never walk away.

As for the transportation offers, I'm quite keen not to air our dirty laundry? PM coming your way.

Wayne

The easy way to slow down the manufacturers' with there one off bikes for there super riders, is just put a claim on the bike at the end of the day. With cash in hand and paying retail price for there bikes. If you could buy Toni B. bike for what the dealers sell it the bike for. Most manufacturers' don't make a good living selling just trial bikes and after they loose a few of those high dollar bikes things would change.

JK

The easy way to slow down the manufacturers' with there one off bikes for there super riders, is just put a claim on the bike at the end of the day. With cash in hand and paying retail price for there bikes. If you could buy Toni B. bike for what the dealers sell it the bike for. Most manufacturers' don't make a good living selling just trial bikes and after they loose a few of those high dollar bikes things would change.

JK

Or people would not enter. I know i wouldnt enter an event where some oik could claim my P&J at the end of it i'd ride elsewhere. It's one of those strange american ideas that thankfully has stayed one. Anyway Toni would still win on a std bike and it would only have to last one trial anyway so how exactly would that make the manufacturers make more durable production bikes ? Edited by old trials fanatic

Hey i never said only I can ask questions but to get my revenge

A 'passing interest' maybe more accurate; my bike has been dormant this year and it won't see a trial until I get back in the groove practicing... and here comes the whinge list requirements:

New knees, I think I'm putting off knee debridement, I've even rapped in the martial arts.

New career ££, this jobs doin me nappa in, I told you it was a family firm, like the mafia, I could never walk away.

As for the transportation offers, I'm quite keen not to air our dirty laundry? PM coming your way.

Wayne

Oh, come on man! I want to hear the dirty side! Surely you can ride the SR class now! Don't have to doo much, just show up and piddle a bit!

I have been waiting for them to open up the SR, Novice Class here! I could muster a decent finish possibly!

Or people would not enter. I know i wouldnt enter an event where some oik could claim my P&J at the end of it i'd ride elsewhere. It's one of those strange american ideas that thankfully has stayed one.

I think the idea started over there, selling race in the UK = claiming race in the US, for the dog's that couldn't win anything else, the idea was to stop dodgers from running a good horse for an easy outing and win.

OTF if you read the original post i'm talking about the same bike with limited parts for a WTC season not for just one event. One disposable bike per event is what we have now in some cases....

Agreed this would definately be the way to go. My comment was directed at the idea that anybody could buy the winning bike at the end of an event for the retail price which to me is a non starter.

Like your idea a lot and it should improve reliability and durability. Penalties should be applied as in F1 if any components have been changed. Would need serious thought about how to apply and enforce it because the factories would obviously try to find ways to circumvent it but worth trying definately.