New 4Rt Owner

warby beta

Hi,

I've just bought a new 4rt thats having a 280cc kit fitted along with a ptb (single or twin im not sure) and im trying to find out the general must haves / do's and reviews from any other 280 owners. Im used to power as ive come from a 300 Gas Gas with reeds and no flywheel weight but im also a big lad so i need it :xmas:

I dont pick it up till mid january when the 280 is fitted but i'd like to buy a few shineys for it so ive something to fiddle about with :)

Cheers

Nick

I bought a new 2012 280 last February and love it. I've spent a small fortune on it but the biggest single improvement has been the full Termignoni exhaust which has unleashed the power/torque as well as making a fantastic sound. Expensixe but worth it.

I dont pick it up till mid january when the 280 is fitted but i'd like to buy a few shineys for it so ive something to fiddle about with :)

Cheers

Nick

Your definitely buying the right bike, if you like shiney things and fiddling about with it! The 4RT is one of the most cattered for bikes, when it comes to buying trick parts for it. Josep Banyeres is your man, but beware, it's very addictive and drains your wallet, but it's your hard earned cash, so why not. It's a very satisfying and enjoyable bike to ride and to fiddle about with. ;-)

Edited by shedracer

Get either a 27 or 30mm Mitani titanium header pipe and mitani titanium silencer, it'll compliment the 280 and TB, giving more torque and power, whilst also sounding nicer and loosing a substantial amount of weight at about half the price of a Termignoni (its also lighter than a termi too). S3 foot pegs/repsol alloy hangers, mitani flat tank/future alloy fuel tank base with carbon hose/alloy bango bolts (original can go rusty from water in the fuel). Future cabon hoses all round with alloy bango bolts. Your wallet will be substantially lighter, but, as they say, "you can't take it with yah" and yah live a short time, but yah a long time dead.

One final thing, change the rear spring for one rated to your weight, makes a big difference, as the shock then works how it's meant to (most people just wind up the spring to compensate for their weight, which messes up the internal settings), cost

Edited by jj65

Oh forgot, must haves, Flat tank, cnc machined fuel tank base (the standard one is a heavy pressed steel job), carbon fuel hose with alloy banjo bolts, carbon brake and clutch hoses with alloy banjo bolts, a TMiles alloy front spindle spacer (to replace the speedo drive) and some decent foot pegs. I could go on, but the above reduce the weight of the bike by a fair bit and the 4RT just looks so much nicer with a flat tank.

What jj65 has said basically. ;-)

Edited by shedracer

Cheers guys,

The chap at Pidcocks mentioned a termignoni front pipe when we discussed the 280 kit but the email says big bore front pipe (no brand).

A friend of mine recommended vmar linkage plates to help with the rear end. Worthwhile?

Since seeing a 4rt for the first time i wanted a flat tank on one but im concerned about the reduced capacity as i do a few run arounds a year including the 2day. It does sound like there is a high likelihood i'll be eating beans for the next few months but it'll be well worth it.

Any other recommendations mucho welcome :)

Get either a 27 or 30mm Mitani titanium header pipe and mitani titanium silencer, it'll compliment the 280 and TB, giving more torque and power, whilst also sounding nicer and loosing a substantial amount of weight at about half the price of a Termignoni (its also lighter than a termi too). S3 foot pegs/repsol alloy hangers, mitani flat tank/future alloy fuel tank base with carbon hose/alloy bango bolts (original can go rusty from water in the fuel). Future cabon hoses all round with alloy bango bolts. Your wallet will be substantially lighter, but, as they say, "you can't take it with yah" and yah live a short time, but yah a long time dead.

One final thing, change the rear spring for one rated to your weight, makes a big difference, as the shock then works how it's meant to (most people just wind up the spring to compensate for their weight, which messes up the internal settings), cost £74 and is an easy DIY job. It's a fantastic bike without all the above, just spend some time setting it up how you like it and enjoy.

3668ecab39bc456cf5199c637eaafb75.jpg

More pics needed :thumbup:

Cheers guys,

A friend of mine recommended vmar linkage plates to help with the rear end. Worthwhile?

Any other recommendations mucho welcome :)

I find that the link plates make the rear more lively, got more spring to it i.m.o. (I weigh about 90kg)

(excuse me for my bad English :unsure: )

Will get another pic up when I have time. The mont is the GS of the trials world, with Mitani selling just about anything. I've got the H&D ti suspension plates and have to say I like the feel, although I have the damping on a tad slower than without them.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this post just after Christmas, but this was the first chance I had to reply. I weigh well the wrong side of 14 stone and a heavier spring was a very worthwhile investment. I got mine from Trials Enduro Direct.

I also weigh over 14 stone (91kg) and I ride with the standard spring, only with the special linkage plates. Had no problems so far...

Maybe I should consider the heavier spring....

For the relatively small amount of cash it cost (£74), it's worth trying, I'm 88kg and have a heavier spring, it rides better IMHO and the suspension is now working correctly for my weight.

• Like 1