What's The Difference?

grib

What is the difference between the original Majestys and the new ones you can buy now? As I understand it the new ones are built using NOS frames from John Shirt and most other bits are TY. Did the original ones have the fibreglass tank or were they alloy?

I had a Majesty as a schoolboy that was built from a kit bought from Shirty, and this had a fibreglass tank, however a mate also had a Majesty bought as a complete bike from Shirty and this had an aluminium tank.So both were definately avaiable at the same time.

There were two types of frame available as far as I'm aware, a standard Shirty one and then a Godden one which apparently had better quality tubing and welding.

I currently have an original fibreglass tank for sale on ebay, is this the reason you're asking?

Well there you have it! ;)

I 've only ever had Mini Majesty's and I would be surprised if they made by Godden as they certainly aren't the most beautifully put together item. I think the Whitehawk frame was a much better quality item. :D

Early Majesties of 200/250/320 capacities all used modified Yamaha frames, the mods being to lift the engine for more ground clearance and reposition the shocks. Some 'works' bikes may have had the steering altered but most didn't. Later bikes used the Godden frame which went through about 3 incarnations, the last of which had no rear frame loop and a steeper steering angle. The bikes went from yellow to red frames/white tank to fit Yamahas corporate colours i believe, although some also had chrome frames.

Easiest way to spot a standard Yam frame from a Godden is the toolbox situated at the top of the front down tubes under the headstock on the former.

The Majesty produced by Craig Mawlam is to the spec of the last Godden framed bikes that were produced (discounting the 2 or 3 special 6 speeders that were built and were never on sale to Joe public) It was only the frames/swingarm that were purpose built, all the running gear was TY, no special bits were used.

The fibreglass tanks that Craig is having produced now are, as has been said, copies of the 175/200 mini Majesty tanks, which are slimmer, neater and a smaller capacity than the original 250/320 alloy tank, although if you fit one to a 320 and go on a road trial I guess you'd better have a fuel stop arranged.... the 320 may be a bit thirsty.

The standard TY forks were a bit under sprung and damped, so works bikes had the forks modded to improve them and Girlings replaced the original equipment rears on all bikes.

Just to confuse things more............

This is a Godden chrome framed Majesty with a 175 engine.

Date of Manufacture was Jan 1982 and it's not a Mini Majesty 175, but a full size one.

Godden framed Mini Majesty's had straight down tubes and full size frames had a 'dog leg' at the bottom where the bash plate attaches (you can pick it out in the photo)

This bike is very original and came as a 175 from new (not a 200) and has the Majesty altered engine cases (oil pump cover and flywheel cover)

It has an alloy full-size Majesty tank and Majesty seat, plus Majesty chain guard and front and rear brake torque arms (which were machined and made lighter)

Originally when I bought it - it had Gas Girlings .............however I've put Falcons on it

Manufacture date has been confirmed by John Shirt Snr

post-12-1116194102.jpg

Fair play that is gorgeous! ;)

It's a godden or otherwise mini majesty frame that I currently have then, I can see the dog leg down tubes you mention, I always wondered how to tell. The frame I have at the moment is cracked in a couple of places and I can't decide whether to repair it or sell it as it is.

If I remember right the 175 barrel is a tight fit in the mini Majesty frame and the fins needed releiving with a round file in order to get it in.

Interesting that you filler cap is on the left of the tank whilst mine is on the right. Mine was/is fibreglass and has just fetched good money on ebay.

Edited by Hughesy

Fair play that is gorgeous! ;)

It's a godden or otherwise mini majesty frame that I currently have then, I can see the dog leg down tubes you mention, I always wondered how to tell. The frame I have at the moment is cracked in a couple of places and I can't decide whether to repair it or sell it as it is.

If I remember right the 175 barrel is a tight fit in the mini Majesty frame and the fins needed releiving with a round file in order to get it in.

Interesting that you filler cap is on the left of the tank whilst mine is on the right. Mine was/is fibreglass and has just fetched good money on ebay.

As said this tank is alloy original, so guess that's where they put the fuel cap and a quick way to tell the difference between alloy and fibreglass tanks from a distance or in a picture

Mick Whitlock never made any frames for John Shirt

I meant the Whitehawk frames, similar idea to the Majesty with a one piece tank/seat unit. The frames were usually chrome, made from Reynolds tubing and just looked a better finished item. I'm sure Mick Whitlock WAS Whitehawk?

If my mini Majesty frame (and it is a proper Majesty item not a cut and shut TY job) is a Godden then yes I'd definately agree that some of welding leave's a bit to be desired. :D

I just thought there was 3 frames available, and adapted TY, a standard Majesty one and then a "higher" spec Godden, which is slighlty different where the rear mudguard attaches. On top of that I'm not sure where the Mini Majesty fits in?? ;)

My sons bike is identical to the one belonging to Johnnyboxer with the Majesty engine covers etc, the Godden Majestys also had the gold Akront wheelrims as on the picture, everywhere we ride the Majesty gets admirers with the chrome frame & especially the gold wheels

ours has a steel rear silencer which I am told was fitted as std to the TY125 & is a better option than the 175 silencer

The only alteration we have carried out was to lower the footrests

on these bikes the folding footrest brackets are welded to a plate which bolts to the swing arm pivot bolt & to a captive nut on the frame

we used the big wide Miller rests & the flat plate is shaped from a strip of 2" x 1/4" steel with a metric fine nut welded behind on one side for the swing arm bolt to attach to

as std the rests were so high that he almost had to sit down to have a dab if I can I will try to post a pic of these

ps forgot to add the filler cap on our tank is on the right hand side

the threaded ring for the top is secured to the tank with with epoxy resin (araldite) we found this when fuel started to seep out from around the top

the adhesive seemed to have lost its strength I guess from contact with the fuel we removed the ring cleaned off the old resin and refixed it successfully

Thanks for the info everyone. So a 200 (non mini) Majesty has the same frame as the 250 & 320 by the sound of things?

Also, are the Whitehawk frames any better or worse than the Majesty ones, and did they use a std Yamaha tank or are there Whitehawk tanks as well?

I couldn't tell you if the whitehawk rode any better but it certainly looked a better quality frameset. However, I'm sure that the Majesty's sold better, but as we see today, it's not always the better bike/product that sells best.

Shirty had some good riders on the national scene on Majesty's and this would of been a big influence.

The Whitehawk tank and seat unit were a one piece unit, similar in style to the Whitehawk 80 but larger.