Question For Slapshot!

copemech

I hate acronyms! It rivals text talk, should be banned from society! Who filled you with all that irrelevent dribble!........

...My Flying instructor ^_^

SNAFU comes to mind if that carb' lets you down !! :o

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wayne, this poster hangs on the wall in the lew at the hangar. It is old, and is drooping, but still gives good perspective on the different planes. I like it!

There is a B29 flying locally, FIFI! I hear it is down for a motor now, and they are asking for donations. Seems they only need $250,000 for rebuild and a spare!

post-36-0-28114600-1357625843_thumb.jpg

I always thought the Zero was just a tiny gnat of a plane but looking at that chart it's the same size as a Hurricane which is a bit larger again than a Spit.

I still like the idea of building a Zero replica and buzzing a few Florida care homes to see if the old fellas remember their drills? :hyper:

As for RC planes, how about this one:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj1QJNhfqJc

Howld the bus!

I've just had another look at that chart and I can't see a Tiffie...Hero of the battle of the bulge and responsible for closing the Falaise pocket:-

...... Dwight D. Eisenhower, the Supreme Allied Commander, said of the Typhoons; "The chief credit in smashing the enemy's spearhead, however, must go to the rocket-firing Typhoon aircraft of the Second Tactical Air Force. The result of the strafing was that the enemy attack was effectively brought to a halt, and a threat was turned into a great victory.".......

Edited by ham2

I know nothing about Planes but could your fuel be unable to vaporize in cold weather? Doesn't AvGas have a low RVP? Does AvGas have summer and winter Blends? "tried the carb heat and it went smooth as glass" Sounds like lack of volatility to me.

Howld the bus!

I've just had another look at that chart and I can't see a Tiffie...Hero of the battle of the bulge and responsible for closing the Falaise pocket:-

...... Dwight D. Eisenhower, the Supreme Allied Commander, said of the Typhoons; "The chief credit in smashing the enemy's spearhead, however, must go to the rocket-firing Typhoon aircraft of the Second Tactical Air Force. The result of the strafing was that the enemy attack was effectively brought to a halt, and a threat was turned into a great victory.".......

Yea, well? Can't have everything! Look at the title again! Aerel? Avions? Must have been printed by a Frog or a Wap best I can tell! No referance to scale. I do have some LARGE books that go into great detail on many aircraft and with awesome illustrations.

I miss the Brewster Buffalo! :wall:

I seen a clip on the flying Superman! The fellows have several designs and are considering going to production! They are electric, you know! :hyper:

I know nothing about Planes but could your fuel be unable to vaporize in cold weather? Doesn't AvGas have a low RVP? Does AvGas have summer and winter Blends? "tried the carb heat and it went smooth as glass" Sounds like lack of volatility to me.

Doug, that stuff is made for a wide range, yet good operation at higher altitude and lower temps. It does not like hot restarts in an airplane or a trials bike either for that matter. It seems to boil of vapor-lock in the carb, so as example, a hot loop, hard running, then shut down to walk a section! Wrong idea here on a warm day, it may not restart untill it has sat 10-15 minutes and cooled, then all fine! You can kick yourself into exhaustion till then!

Did you ever hear from jimmy?

Well, never did hear from Slapshot! He may be 1600 ft below sea level himself I suppose!(buried in muff)

I feel much better after recieving the call from the fellow at the factory. He had run the carby on the test bench and it speced out at basically 10% lean of spec !!!!!!!!!!!!! which is measured in pounds per hour of fuel flow! So spec at 41, it was at 37(fuel weighs roughly 6 pounds per gallon US measure)

No wonder it would not run at that air density! I have not lost my mind! :beer:

Well, never did hear from Slapshot! He may be 1600 ft below sea level himself I suppose!(buried in muff)

I feel much better after recieving the call from the fellow at the factory. He had run the carby on the test bench and it speced out at basically 10% lean of spec !!!!!!!!!!!!! which is measured in pounds per hour of fuel flow! So spec at 41, it was at 37(fuel weighs roughly 6 pounds per gallon US measure)

No wonder it would not run at that air density! I have not lost my mind! :beer:

That's cos he's been feckin busy and can't see TC forums at work!!! New feckin office, new IT that doesn't feckin work!! .....I've emailed the early post to work, I'll do some diggn tomorrow and let you know.

Aye up mate! Figured you would surface eventually!

Hopefully the issue is resolved now with the carb work, and it being overly sensitive. Yet I must admit the fact I have never paid much attention in the past.

A mate of mine called me to tell he had reviewed an old training tape on winter flying which brought up some extreme conditions and a couple things came out of it.

1- Local reporting stations may not be able to report accurately at baros beyond 31.00 in as it is out of range of their instruments. Obviously, this is a non issue if you are on the ground and know your elevation and can adjust accordingly, yet if in the air, it is recco to just set to 31.00 and go.

2- Seems there was indeed mention or rough engine operation at these extreme pressures. Recco is to apply carb heat and go. There also being mention that temp inversions are common under these conditions, so air may warm at altitude, makes sense.

I suppose in my case, this just showed up a bit prematurely due to the carb. Seems one does not just simply change main jets in these things. The fuel nozzle goes up into the center of the venturi, and seems they ream the orface to set flow to range specified by the engine maker.

All said, at the flow of 41 pph(6.83 gph), it costs $34.16 at $5.00 per gallon to go for an hour, at a speed of 118 mph, or 17.35 mpg. So one can get from A to B fairly quickly at a cost which is halfed if one considers 2 occupants. :beer:

Been busy in here today but at a quick look at some of the books...as you assume it links to pressure the way air density changes relative to air temp at a standard atmosphere. You also have to look at Orthobaric Density which is relevant to the densities of the co-existing state (liquid, solid & gas) at a given temperature and atmosphere....

Too much thinking here Copey, can you not use millibars or Hectapascals like us normal folk!!!

I'll keep digging

On the plus side....office IT didn't block me today!!!

Edited by slapshot 3

Been busy in here today but at a quick look at some of the books...as you assume it links to pressure the way air density changes relative to air temp at a standard atmosphere. You also have to look at Orthobaric Density which is relevant to the densities of the co-existing state (liquid, solid & gas) at a given temperature and atmosphere....

Too much thinking here Copey, can you not use millibars or Hectapascals like us normal folk!!!

I'll keep digging

On the plus side....office IT didn't block me today!!!

Donald, if I took this to millhecktowhatevers and Cunni, it looks more like this first one, then adapted to sea level by standard lapse rate looks more like the second!!

post-36-0-46729200-1358392428_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-10987700-1358392457_thumb.jpg

Compared to your road vehicles over there you probably think 17.35 mpg is frugal? :hyper:

Nothing frugal there for 100bhp, only benifit is speed! Of course, things get better if you slow down, or gain altitude(possibly).

Not unlike the airlines, one must think in relation to cost per passenger mile! It then becomes the Volkswagon that it is in aircraft terms!

Not unlike the Tomahawk, one has some creature comforts such as an electrical system and instruments, a very basic thing like a Piper Cub has near nothing, hand prop to start! Grassroots flying!

.............Not unlike the Tomahawk, one has some creature comforts such as an electrical system and instruments, a very basic thing like a Piper Cub has near nothing, hand prop to start! Grassroots flying.!

Not many Cubs around here, too draughty, too cold, if you added a cockpit (not carb') heater you'd probably be nudging the MTOW :hyper: ( couldn't resist another acronym to keep you on your toes :icon_salut: ).

Anyhow, at least my Tomahawk is airworthy, unlike:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21054089