Question For Slapshot!

copemech

Went to go flying Sunday evening. All had been running well on the aircraft, then I go to do my run-up test on the plane that eve and it is rough, not running right at all on either magneto under load. Thought about plug fouling an such, reved it out a few times, then tried the carb heat and it went smooth as glass. Went back to normal with no carb heat then rough mag check again. Kept running at low revs for a while to get some heat into the motor, but no change on the runups and then it seemed ok so I pulled out on the runway and applied full power for takeoff and it ran rough again, so aborted takeoff.

I had noticed a large swing in altimeter setting upon preflight, did not think too much about it, yet a bit unusual. I have now spent many hours trying to find out what is wrong with the motor, disecting magnetos, carb and such, to no avail.

However, I did recall the bloody altimeter setting, so I just ran the numbers on this and feck me!

I have never seen such numbers! No wonder it declined to run well under load yet smoothed out whth heat applied!

Not sure anyone is going to believe me on this! Does this happen there? I am now a submarine!

post-36-0-61643900-1357106188_thumb.jpg

Edited by copemech

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I see a Lanc or any other WW2 warbird I get the same urges that I get when I see Carol Vorderman's derrier....I just wanna touch it :banana: . Now that Peter Jackson has completed the Hobbit he claims that it's green lights all the way for the new Dambusters film...and the labrador code word is definitely going to be; D-igger :lol: In the course of researching my book (Mr. pretentious B) I know ) I've spoken to two members of 617 squadron and they both, independently, mentioned that the original dog's name was intended to be cruel, apparently Gibson was a bit of a swine. The lesser ranks were forced to salute the dog's grave whenever they passed by it, sometimes several times a day :rotfl: I think PJ may have missed a trick, the :D 70th anniversary is this year.

Edited by ham2

When I see a Lanc or any other WW2 warbird I get the same urges that I get when I see Carol Vorderman's derrier....I just wanna touch it :banana: . Now that Peter Jackson has completed the Hobbit he claims that it's green lights all the way for the new Dambusters film...and the labrador code word is definitely going to be; D-igger :lol: In the course of researching my book (Mr. pretentious B) I know ) I've spoken to two members of 617 squadron and they both, independently, mentioned that the original dog's name was intended to be cruel, apparently Gibson was a bit of a swine. The lesser ranks were forced to salute the dog's grave whenever they passed by it, sometimes several times a day :rotfl: I think PJ may have missed a trick, the :D 70th anniversary is this year.

You have hidden depths, a bit like a very deep hidden thing.

.........Kept running at low revs for a while to get some heat into the motor, but no change on the runups and then it seemed ok so I pulled out on the runway and applied full power for takeoff and it ran rough again, so aborted takeoff.......

:o :o T.O.R.A.

T.O.R.A

T.O.R.A. :lol:

Edited by ham2

Was there a serious cold front moving thru the area at the same time ?

Front had passed, it was clear and dry! I checked today, still cold here as I do not think it got over about 37f, and baro was still high at 30.25, density altitude was near -1250 feet, but not -1650.

I made some calls today, and I have not found anyone yet that has experienced this, yet at the same time, they all say that planes are not designed to run below sea level!

:o :o T.O.R.A.

T.O.R.A

T.O.R.A. :lol:

Not even a snigger?

Copey, how long is it since you went to flight school. My jokes are wasted here...you've changed man, you aren't the flyer you used to be :huh:

Take Off Run Available

See I keep telling you, it's not funny when I've got to spell it out :rolleyes:

Not even a snigger?

Copey, how long is it since you went to flight school. My jokes are wasted here...you've changed man, you aren't the flyer you used to be :huh:

Take Off Run Available

See I keep telling you, it's not funny when I've got to spell it out :rolleyes:

What are you rambling about. That is a Jap-US war movie thay came out before you were born probably!

"Take Off Run Available"? I have over a mile of runway! I could take off and land two or three times if the bloody motor would run properly in this shat cold weather!!

:mellow:

TORA

TODA

ASDA

LDA

etc......

Capiche?

I hate acronyms! It rivals text talk, should be banned from society! Who filled you with all that irrelevent dribble!

My ASDA is fine! My ICE won't friggin run right!!!!!!(internal cumbustttttitue whatever motor!)

Fecking carb is off for flow testing at factory! What a PITA!

post-36-0-57308800-1357448695_thumb.jpg