French 4Day Trial

blacky66

Hi guys I'm thinking of going and doing the French 4 day trial at sardent but would like to speak to a few people that have been before to help me out with a few thinks like what license I need??how long is each day?? Do I have to have working lights on my bike? And generally what it is like tbh I'm currently riding a Gas Gas txt pro 250 2009 model!! Have been doing white routes but just moved up onto yellow what are the classes like out there?? Many thanks

randonnier is very easy clubman sections s3 is an inter route and s2 good centre level.

yes you need working lights, last time i knew an acu license was ok. but you need driving licence too. havnt been for a couple of years though.

days can be very long but you can do 16 or 32 sections per day, 2 loops twice or once on all courses.

• Like 1

I'm considering entering the 4days trial at La Creuse to. It wil be my first time to, so i'd like to know if low class riders as myself can ride there...

Thanks Nigel!

Edited by guys

Its a mega trial. I havent been for a few years though.

When I last went, you needed an international ACU licence, which required a medical.

So instead, like many others, I just took my normal ACU licence, and played dumb !

As for lights, non of mine worked, or were checked. You just had to have them on.

My friend stuck the interior light lens off his van to his number board, and that passed !

I dont know what course would suit you. Many of the sections are BIG rocks. Steps, drops, gaps etc. There is a LOT of grip, and its surprising what you can get up...... if you have the cahonies ! It was a no-stop trial when I rode, but most of the sections required a lot of trick riding....which most observers seemed happy to oblige. One guy let me ride the section again because i crashed, I then three'd it and was given a clean...and a glass of wine ! ha

Another did the same because i stalled whilst attempting a flick turn. No wine that time though !

They are very relaxed. I rode S2 that year and found it plenty challenging. I usually ride hard course up to National level here (although VERY badly ! ) ha

There was a BIG gap between S2 and S1. S1 seemed scarily hard in places!

Randoneur was the easiest course, and would suit begginers. S3 would have suited the better (and braver) clubmen I think.

This is all going back over 5 years ago though....so it may all be different now!

• Like 1

Have done it several times along with several other French classics. This particular trial has good sections for all abilities. The organisation is not the best which is not helped by half the entry being Brits who are always most wellcome and who create thier own chaos, mostly it all adds to the fun. Entries are easy to do , Fuel/ logistics no problem, many folk take full advantage of the wellcome and get a few days riding in either side of the event. Last year I decided was my last and this is just me ( a miserable old scroat past sell by let alone best before date)..... reasons difficult to explain but the lack of shared language and culture added to the shambolic time control policy creates in many a mind set of push and shove which I detest and can live without. There is a certain brit individual who is going to have a nice surprise when he comes walking up my section on monday at this years SSDT but thats another story. Go and do it, stay cool and enjoy,suggest S3 class from how you describe your abilities ( A good S2 will get around the SSDT.. my missus who is close to drawing her state pension does.S4 ) you can choose to ride one or two laps depending on how physical you want your trial to be. Get your 20 ltrs of fuel before you get to Sardent , there is a little shop in the village Brit owners..it is poilitic also to patronise the Saturday evening Barbie in village as all proceeds go to local community projects. Thats my little perspective I'm sure others will have stuff to tell you...main thing is do it.

Ps Nigel is rigght re light licences & insurance (although I 've seen quotations being presented and accepted) scrutinneering is getting stiffer due to FFM/insurance generally sharp edges are a no no i.e handlebar ends ,tooth protector on barsctr. It was a hot topic generally in France last summer that ripcord type kill buttons would become compulsory for this year ..should be in the regs or ask if in doubt before setting off. Normally this is a dry /dusty trial run michelins and take a couple of air filters..that way you can rotate them daily.

Edited by chewy
  • Like 1

Further to this, the Sardent club are running a two day classic twinshock and pre 65 trial , 14 15th June.

It uses many of the sections and route of trial discribed above and in previous years albiet a single day has been very good.

Details can be found on the AFATA Trial ancienne website.

Bon chance

Further to this, the Sardent club are running a two day classic twinshock and pre 65 trial , 14 15th June.

It uses many of the sections and route of trial discribed above and in previous years albiet a single day has been very good.

Details can be found on the AFATA Trial ancienne website.

Bon chance

any website or link available?

• 1 month later...