French 4Day Trial

blacky66

I am going. Yes, that's the way to do it I think.

From what I understand, you only need a medical if you have no licence.

I have no licence but I ticked the box for a one event licence (= €65) so I have to have a medical certificate that allows me to do motorsports.

• 2 weeks later...

you'll be riding on public roads so your trials bike must be "road legal":

The bike must be insured and registrated. Most participants stick a small color-copy of their registration plate on the rear mud-guard.

You also need a (small) head- and taillight.

Thanks very much....

All good for me, registered bike, full bike licence.... :)

Not so good for my pals.... unregistered bike, no bike licence... :(

Anyone know of any similar multi day trials that don't involve road work?

Thanks again

Jon

The insurance issue and bikes being licenced and fully road legal has taken a huge leap forward here in France in recent months. Lights now need to be fitted and documents are more often checked upon signing on.

Bridal paths are classed as public places so bikes would need to be road legal even if the trial only kept to these and not the public highway. I would imagin the bigger multi day trials would have to use these chemin rurals.. to make up the route so finding a trial that you can enter with out ticking all the boxes would be rare. To gain a competiton licence in France you need a yearly medical and if you are a first timer, starting out, you need to take a " bike test" , offroad, to show you are competent.

Hope that helps

• Like 1

The insurance issue and bikes being licenced and fully road legal has taken a huge leap forward here in France in recent months. Lights now need to be fitted and documents are more often checked upon signing on.

Bridal paths are classed as public places so bikes would need to be road legal even if the trial only kept to these and not the public highway. I would imagin the bigger multi day trials would have to use these chemin rurals.. to make up the route so finding a trial that you can enter with out ticking all the boxes would be rare. To gain a competiton licence in France you need a yearly medical and if you are a first timer, starting out, you need to take a " bike test" , offroad, to show you are competent.

Hope that helps

Thanks very much for the explanation, my friend has never ridden on the roads so doesn't have a licence.... At a rough cost of £400 to obtain one just to ride something he may or may not like, is a bit steep.

Not anyones fault, just one of those things :(

Does anyone know if the Andorra 2 day in August requires insurance and road licences?

Thanks again Metisse

Jon

I think to compete in any off road event without adequate insurance and licence would be foolhardy.

its ok till something goes wrong then what?

Sorry you've lost me....?

If you're talking about a normal trial in the UK, then by having an ACU licence aren't we complying with everything?

If you're talking about European multi day trials, run on public roads or as Metisse says bridle paths, then I agree....

It's just a shame that someone who has never ridden on the road, but is a damn sight better rider than me with 30 plus years on the road can't ride... But thems the rules, and that's life!

Time to change mates methinks.....

:P

I think the Andorra trial runs on closed roads(?) therefore there might not need to be a requirement for a road bike licence or personal insurance. Perhaps also the organisers may offer some form of public liability insurance with the entry fee. Not being fluent in French or speaking a word of Spanish or Catalan, it's difficult to know!

:)

Jon