Day Membership

breagh

Day licences would be a good idea, theres a lot of people have a trials bike in the garage who can't be bothered with joining a club and applying for an ACU licence. I think your right, if they could turn up on the get a day licence and ride they would get into trials. More riders has got to be good for the sport. I think there has been a decline in numbers at trials over the past couple of years.

Day licences would be a good idea, theres a lot of people have a trials bike in the garage who can't be bothered with joining a club and applying for an ACU licence. I think your right, if they could turn up on the get a day licence and ride they would get into trials. More riders has got to be good for the sport. I think there has been a decline in numbers at trials over the past couple of years.

Not quite sure why youve crossed your post out because you make some good valid points. This one one of the reasons we changed from ACU to AMCA. To ride AMCA trials you dont need a competition license and though we do have club membership you can still ride if you are not a member it just costs you £3.00 more entry fee. I am sure other AMCA affiliated clubs would be the same as two other such clubs in our area are. Check out the AMCA website for details of clubs in your area.

The Scottish Classic Racing do one day membership so do several other clubs but some the membership fee is so low you are just well taking the annual membership The SACU do or last year did one day licence. Entry increase? Can not answer that one as some entrants may be in more than one club so have an annual licence.

Money is tight, we are in a recession , have been for around 6 years. It's not the initial cost of the licence at £10, it is the cost of the travel etc. After the first application for the licence, the next ones are simple. If people are quibbling over the licence cost then maybe they need a cheaper hobby. What happens when they need a tyre and maybe wheel bearings etc. The trials I ride at that are the busiest are older generation riders, which in itself speaks volumes as to where the money is and isn't.

Even those with money are reluctant to spend at the moment.

Some clubs have increased entry fees and club membership over the last few years, clearly they are run by people unaffected by the recession or just greedy. A club doesn't need to show a profit after expense but they wonder why membership and entries drop.

Edited by andy m

Cheers folks,our membership fee is low too and it makes little financial sense not to join.(We ran 22 events last year)

What I'm thinking some people just want to come and ride with no strings attached.

Especially beginners that are not sure how things work.

We do day membership,Nov/Dec as there's few new members then and don't want to charge the full membership for a couple of trials.

I'll have a look at the English AMCA Trials sites (Were AMCA) and see whats what.

The licence is a separate issue,and we've not had any members complaining about costs.

I just want to encourage folk to come.

Edited by breagh

I make a calander at the begining of the year Last year I had 267 dates

Club nights 5 per month vmccc rallies, trials, scrambles, shows,and various other events A lot of events overlap as there is only 52 weekends You want to get out and just see other events they also struggle for entries Do not take a blinkered look at your own club see the bigger picture As ANDY M sayes money is tight

i'm very selfish though and it would suit me to have a trial most weeks in Fife.

As Andy M says travelling costs are the problem.

Scotland is massive and there's plentyroom for 3 or 4 trials on the same day.

as above trials is (when compared to other motorsport) very cheap

that said the costs must be justified - i have no problem in explaining how every fee is arrived at and where the money goes - we (clubs, acu, etc) are all "non profit" organisation. that is to say we do make profits but they are reinvested, no money is returned to any shareholders, etc.

BTW - If you trade with members then its "mutual trading" which is exempt from corporation tax (check with an accountant first!)

Great idea. Does it work?

Yes.

Firstly, we do an "Open Day", where anyone interested can turn up with or without a bike (we can supply one). The day is totally free to the rider as our club will pay all the insurance and permit fees. They get tuition, hints and tips on riding and hopefully an enjoyable day out.

The rider is then given a voucher to attend a proper trial and as above, has only to pay for a day licence.

This is not a large cost to the club and as said in the thread, clubs are set up to re-invest in the future, which are new riders.