Do The Yamaha Engined Sy250R's Have A Rev Limiter?

ridgrunr

Been doing some jetting to see if I can help end the stalled engine 5's. I've never really ran it full throttle before to check the main jet spark plug color, but have noticed the revs go a little flat right at the top, as if there is a rev limiter. Tried rich, tried lean and it doesn't make any difference. Bike runs great, gut goes flat right at the top of the R's. Anyone expereinced this? Now I'm wondering if other makes have a rev limiter?

Edited by ridgrunr

Most 2 strokes don't have a rev limiter

If it did have one it would produce an ignition misfire which would then cause an after fire in the muffler

Very hard to miss

It's probably a characteristic of the pipe design and the ignition timing, in a way, it is a rev limiter but that's how they do it on pretty much all 2 strokes

Edited by 0007

When I had a 2006 model i thought it had one but i cant tell you for certain.

If you have been sitting in a queue for a while and try and clean the motor out before a big climb or step it wont rev out it seems restricted. Yet under load going up a hill it revved higher than any other bike I have owned. I suppose under no load with the clutch in its actually revving higher so its maybe hitting the limiter ?

also best bike ever made for steps, rear suspension just soaks them up.

Looks like there isn't a rev limiter. But after trying every jetting possibility I could think of (man I'm becoming an expert at getting to that carb! And yes that carb is crystal clean!) I couldn't find any combination that would get rid of that top end flat spot. Bike runs perfectly everywhere else.

So I went on a web search and eventually found a site that explained what could be expected to be found with most intake issues and how to diagnose and correct them. In one, he described my issue perfectly, then said the problem was most likely an intake reed issue, the one thing I hadn't checked. That made sense to me, so I ordered a set of Boyesen Trials specific reeds. http://boyesen.com/power-reeds-358.html. They probably won't make it here in time for the meet this weekend, but should be here in time to get them in for the 5 Miles of Hell ride. I'll let you know.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after trying everything I could think of in an effort to get rid of that top end flat spot, I finally replaced the reeds. I was suprised to discover the stock reeds were fiber and not steel like I was expecting. But, they were chipped. Two of the petals had chips on the top.

SY250Reeds.jpg

So I put in the Boyesen Power reeds, and just like that the top end flat spot was gone. Revs quicker and smoother too. Well worth the $39 they cost me. Think I'm all ready for the Five Miles of Hell next week. Now if I could only figure out a way to shed thirty years!

Ok, rode Utah's 5 Miles of Hell yesterday. http://www.utahtrial.../5moh/5moh.html What a great day! Three of us went across, my Scorpa, Chris on his Gaser and Jay on his YZ250. Wondered how the YZ would do, but he did OK. He worked a lot harder than we did on the Trials bikes, but he was prepared, as was his bike! A broken shifter lever on the Gasser was our only issue.

The new Boyesen reeds worked great in the SY, but they did make it run a little rich in the mid range and it used a little more gas than usual. I could hear it popping more on the low end too, so I dropped the needle a notch this morning. Other than that, the bike ran great all day.

This was the Scorpa's third time to Hell, and it has survived every trip completely unscathed. Can't say that for the three KTM's we met half way across. Guy said he had never crashed his bike so much in one day. You can see the broken bike parts that have paid homage to Hell in the rock carne at the base of the 5MOH sign. I did go down once, in some of that stinking 7 inch deep sand in the bottom of one of the canyons, but it was a nice slow soft tip over, so I just lay there in the sand a caught five winks. Man my thighs are burning today though after riding 18 miles of that stuff, it's actually 9 miles across (we rode it both ways, which the KTM guys could not believe!) So anyway the bike runs great again! Gotta tell yoiu, I'm loving that Scorpa!

scorpa5moh2.jpg

scorpa5moh3.jpg

If you ever want to see what you...and your bike...are made of, I highly recommend that you go to Hell and find out! All five..er nine...miles of it!

Edited by ridgrunr

• 4 weeks later...

Thats a great looking bike.

And the 5 miles of Hell looks great to!

I wish we could do a stint like that in our realy small country.

Thanks for the tip i think i will try it on my Scorpa to.

I have to agree with you, i only have my 2006 Scorpa for 2 weeks no and i realy fell in love with it.