Milky Oil. I'm Confused?

bennyb91

Hi.

Basically I've serviced my bike this week and change the oil with atf dextron 2 and started it up and the oil went in nice clear red colour. Was out today and I've noticed that the oil had gone a strawberry milkshake colour :/ is this what atf dextron 2 does or do I have a problem with water getting into my oil. If so what's the fix please. All help is much appreciated.

Ben.

You have coolant in your oil. This would leak from the waterpump into the gearbox.

Your water pump seal and possibly shaft if it is worn. It's a very easy fix.

Put in YouTube- gasgas waterpump repair and click on gasgas USAs videos.

You can do it yourself you just need a pair of snap ring pliers.

Here are the parts

http://www.trialsuk.co.uk/products/gas-gas-txt-pro-water-pump-seal

http://www.trialsuk.co.uk/products/gas-gas-txt-pro-water-pump-shaft

It's best to do the shaft as well even if it doesn't have grooves in( this means it's worn) so they wear at the

Same speed. Also the seal won't last as long if you don't put a new shaft in.

hope this helps

• Like 1

You have coolant in your oil. This would leak from the waterpump into the gearbox.

Your water pump seal and possibly shaft if it is worn. It's a very easy fix.

Put in YouTube- gasgas waterpump repair and click on gasgas USAs videos.

You can do it yourself you just need a pair of snap ring pliers.

Here are the parts

http://www.trialsuk.co.uk/products/gas-gas-txt-pro-water-pump-seal

http://www.trialsuk.co.uk/products/gas-gas-txt-pro-water-pump-shaft

It's best to do the shaft as well even if it doesn't have grooves in( this means it's worn) so they wear at the

Same speed. Also the seal won't last as long if you don't put a new shaft in.

hope this helps

Ok thanks il have a look into it. Safe to ride or not really? Also as I'm not sure if it's been changed shall I just change the full kit?

Ben just check the coolant has dropped before you get the tools out. you havent said if you used the same oil previously so may just be the two oils mixing.

The guy I bought it off said he had ATF oil in before so I've used dextron 2 . I drained and refilled twice before I refilled with clean oil and in 15 minutes it was creamy like milkshake. Also I changed the coolant and when I dropped it hardly any came out so much be that seal?

"Is it safe to ride"

Well most oils will absorb an enormous amount of moisture before they fail to protect (they are designed that way) but I don't know much about ATF, it may be a very different story but if its a milkshake then it obviously is putting the moisture in solution and keeping it there which is a good thing

The problem is when the oil gets warm it boils off the water and the vapour gets absolutely everywhere and it's hard to get rid of, corrosion/rust is a big factor as there are a few steel/iron parts in there so time is your enemy more so than use, I would get it done ASAP

Flushing is the next thing, it will take several oil changes, dump it hot during a ride, don't wait til you get home

Yep ATF goes strawberry milkshake.

I fell off a bank and into 3foot of water, the bike was lay on the bottom of the stream it looked like a dumped shopping trolley. Everything was flooded (Gear box, Exhaust, Tank, Carb and Cylinder)

Flushed it out with two oil changes and it's back to normal,

• Like 1

Cheers Zippy for the approval of my comment, I hope when you next see one under water (not yours) you will laugh.

The chrome frame realy does look like what I said :icon_salut:

Edited by richt

Cheers Zippy for the approval of my comment, I hope when you next see one under water (not yours) you will laugh.

The chrome frame realy does look like what I said :icon_salut:

I did skillfully place one of bikes onto the bottom of a Canadian stream once. Sucked water into cases, popped out the spark plug, turned bike upside down and pumped out the water, cleaned air filter with some 2 stroke fuel and finished the event.

I will surely laugh if I see another one do that, after making sure the rider is OK of course.

On a trials bike you will get condensation in the cases anyway as you won't get the gear box hot enough to evaporate the moisture. If your using ATF I'd get a big container of the stuff and change it after each ride three times to flush the cases.

Also keep tabs on your coolant level as a guide.